Daily Express 
Lancaster Pa.
June 20, 1863

The Rebel Raid-Interesting Details from
Citizens-How the Rebels Came and What
They Did-The Manner and Cause of their
Correspondence of the Express.
               Chambersburg, June 17, 1863

    We have had a visit from Gen. Jenkins 
Guerrilla Band, which hails from Western
Virginia.  They made a much better appear-
ance then the party which visited us last 
year.  The men are healthy and robust, and
look as they could endure any amount of 
fatigue.  They were dressed in all sorts 
of clothing, their uniforms being in no 
wise uniform, so that it would have been 
very difficult to distinguish them as
soldiers of any country under the Sun.
    They arrived on Monday night, a little
before midnight.  The advance guard came
into town at full speed, with drawn sabres.
Three of the Cavalry were about a square 
ahead of the advance guard, and some of 
our young men were out "on a bender,"
arrested, disarmed, and took them 
prisoners, some of them riding their 
horses away; but their companions came up
just in time to rescue their friends; but
they could not recover their horses.  This
caused a great deal of trouble between the 
rebels and the citizens.  The former were 
continually threatening to burn the town 
if we did not return the horses and arms
taken from them.  When the advance came in
there was a lot of stones lying on the main
street, which obstructed about half the 
street; and as they coming into town at full
speed, one of the rebels run into the stone
pile, his horse stumbling and throwing him
violently to the ground.  In an effort to 
save himself his pistol went off.  They came
back, knocked at the doors and ordered out 
the citizens in front of whose doors the 
stones lay, and threatened to burn down their
property for not keeping the streets clean.
They would not stop to argue the question, 
but took some of them prisoners and kept 
them confined until the next day, when they
were all let off after a vain attempt to 
compel them to take the oath of allegiance 
to the "Southern Confederacy."  They were
not to be intimidated by their threats.
    On Tuesday the Rebels took full possession
of the town, and gave us notice that we must
open our stores, and permit their soldiers
to buy (or steal) what they might fancy, and
that any one who refused to take their money
 or open his store, would have his goods 
"confiscated."  So we opened our stores and 
in they flocked, and in a short time we were
doing a rush business.  Those who paid of 
course gave us their worthless confederate
scrip, but in this we played a little sharp 
on them, as you will see hereafter.
    They were busy in buying, or stealing
-whichever you choose to call it, when their
operations were suddenly interrupted by an
order to fall into line, as an alarm had been
raised that there was a Federal force coming
up the road from Carlisle.  I assure you I
never saw men leave and mount their horses
quicker then they did.  They immediately
went down the Shippensburg pike, where they 
had their camp, and there formed their line
of battle.  There were about 1500 mounted 
infantry and three hundred cavalry, all
well mounted on fine horses, as hardy looking
as the men.
    At this time we were in a state of great
excitement, and the old guns and other weapons
were brought out, thinking that our time for
redress had now come, and that we were to be
free from our new rulers; but our exultation
was of short duration, as the advancing force
was only a party of seven Calvary scouts from
Carlisle.  They fired at each other, and two
of our men were wounded and two brought in
prisoners.  We were therefore sadly 
disappointed, when about four o'clock in the
afternoon they again came into town, and 
issued an order that if any citizen fired on
a guard or molested them in any manner whatever,
they would fire the town and burn town every 
man's property.  This is the rod which they
continually held over us to keep us in 
    Night came on and we retired to rest under 
rebel protection, and in the morning the Court
House bell was rung and an order read requiring
the citizens to give up all guns, swords, 
pistols and other warlike weapons within two
hours, and that if they were not delivered up 
they would search our houses and burn down every
property in which arms should be found.  The 
guns were promptly turned in according to the order,
and a courious looking armory was soon established.
There were guns of all descriptions some without
barrels, some without triggers, and others without
locks, but in the number there was about 200 good
muskets, which had been collected after the raid
last year by the U.S. Quartermaster.
    About one o'clock there was a great commotion
among them and presently their baggage train came 
along, then their cavalry, and their infantry on 
foot, and only small rear guard being left back. 
One of those on the route set fire to a large 
warehouse but a number of citizens who were 
standing around succeeded in extinguishing the 
flames and it is well they did, for if they had  
not we would have had a large fire, as there were
a number of frame buildings and a strawboard 
manufactory nearby, and the wind blowing very high 
at the time.  We were very thankful that we got 
off with so little loss as we had expected them to 
burn us out.  The rebel who fired the warehouse 
was fired at and stoned by some of the citizens and 
had his guns taken from him.  As he retreated at a 
full gallop he fired his pistol at two of the 
citizens, but did not hit them. 
    As I before stated, we played a little sharp 
with the worthless trash they compelled us to take 
for money.  They demanded $900 for the horses 
taken from then by the citizens.  they set up the 
curious plea in support of this demand, that no 
citizen has a right to take property from military
invaders, but that they had a right to take from 
the farmers and others any property that would be
of us to them, a right that they illustrated by
seizing about 150 horses, and a quantity of 
saddles harness ect. in the neighborhood.  So,
as the next best thing to be done, we collected
the $900 in rebel money, from the different stores,
and with that paid them for their horses.  Of 
course they could not well refuse to take their 
own currency!
    The Rebels, all the time they were here,
appeared to be very uneasy, keeping a sharp
lookout as if they expected to be attacked,
which they ought to have been, and would have
been if our government had shown a little more
energy in protecting the border from such raids.
This is a fine valley, and the rebels seem to 
know it, as both officers and men told us they
would often pay us a visit, as they lived so 
well when they came to see us, and that we take
such good care of them and their horses.  They
went away much better dressed then when they came,
as they got shoes, and clothing generally, much
cheaper then they could procure them at home!  
They also were considerate enough to supply
themselves with dresses and other little comforts,
for their wives and daughters and sweethearts.
    Before leaving, our visitors went to the part
of the town occupied by the colored population,
and kidnapped all they could find, from the child 
in the cradle up to men and women of fifty years
of age.  They tied them with ropes by the wrist,
and, pistol in hand, drove them through the 
streets firing at them to make them hurry along!
It would have made your heart ache to have 
witnessed this highhanded and brutal outrage
committed on these poor defenseless creatures.
The indignation of our citizens was intense,
but what could they do!  The first lot sent 
through was in charge of a small guard, which
was captured, and the Negroes set free again at 
Greencastle, about ten miles from here, but I
am afaird they were recaptured again by the 
    The rebel mail carrier was also captured,
with a dispatch to the effect that they could
not keep their lines open any longer, as their
infantry was expecting an attack every moment.
there was exidently something going on in their
rear, which made them very uneasy all the time
they were here-hence in charging through the
town they kept up the constant threat that if
they were fired upon from any house they would
burn the town.
    I have just had a conversation with one of
the wounded Union cavalry soldiers, who fought
with the rebels from Bunker Hill, and reached
our place Monday night about four hours before
Jenkins forces came in.  There was about 150 
of them, and they skirmished with the rebel
advance until near Greencastle.  We had this
young soldier secreted while the rebels
were here.  They told us that this little
band fought them gallantly at Bunker Hill
from four o'clock until night.  They used a
Brick Church as a fort, making loop holes
through the walls for their guns.  Although
they admitted having a vastly superior 
force, our fellows fought them gallantly,
and thus kept them from capturing the large
train of army wagons which passed through
this place on Monday.  This was evidently 
the prize the rebels were after, as the 
first question they asked on their arrival
was.  "How far is the wagon train ahead."
Of course, none of our citizens gave the 
satisfactory information.  The bitterness
of their curses showed how much they were
disappointed, and how nobley our little force 
did their duty in covering the retreat of 
the train.
    There is a rumor in town that the rebels
have stopped in Greencastle and taken a
number of prisoners, which they hold as
hostages for the return of their negros 
and rebel prisoners that were taken there
and that they threaten to burn the town
as they did outs.
    As the mail communication has not been
restored yet, I send this by a messenger 
to Shippensburg.                  J.J.

    [The following letter from Mr. Wallace a
merchant in Chambersburg, was received last
evening by his wife, who is on a visit to 
this city, and at Mrs. Dr. John Miller's.]

                  Chambersburg June 17.1863
                          Six o'clock, p.m.

    The rebels made their appearance on Monday
night at twelve o'clock, and left us today,
at one o'clock-during which time we have
been under intense excitement.  They, as usual,
had their own way in everything.  They took 
all the horses they could get, also all the 
negros-they say about #100-were tied and 
driven away into rebeldom.  It was a sorrowful
sight to see the poor creatures taken away;
free and slave alike were taken.  The rebels
say they will hold the free ones until 
exchanged for an equal number of their slaves.
We had to open our stores, under the penalty 
of confiscation if we refused.  So we had a
class of new customers who paid for all they
took in Confederate scrip.  Yesterday we had
a gentlemanly class to deal with, but today
a few would steal.  We sold about $200 worth
and got the most of the amount off by lending
to the Borough, which was compelled to pay
for two horses the rebels allege were stolen 
by our people.  The claim was $900 and if 
payment was refused, they threatened to burn
the town, which threat raised great excitement.
After this manner was settled we felt somewhat
    This morning an order came from General
Jenkins that all the arms in town must be
given up under heavy penalty, and that the
persons refusing to comply with the order 
were liable to be taken hostages.  This 
raised intense excitement.  Ten o'clock a.m.,
was the time fixed for delivering, and 
about 500 guns and pistols of all kinds 
were delivered up, the best of which the 
rebels took with them, and broke the balance
to pieces.  I forgot to mention that the 
rebel force was 1800 strong, under Gen. 
Jenkins, and were mounted infantry, mostly
from Western Virginia.  A large portion of
our men left town, being frightened and 
afaird of being taken hostages to Dixie,
and they (the rebels) threatened to impress
our young men into the rebel service which
frightened some off.  All this was humiliating
in the extreme-a trail which we have never
experienced before, and which I hope may be
the last.
    Part of their force encamped beyond 
Colonel McClure's farm and part in the 
opposite direction on the Greencastle Road.
They fired Oaks & Austin's warehouse which
luckly, was extinguished.  Several shots 
were imprudently fired at the rebel who 
applied the match; fortunately he was not
killed, but slightly wounded.  Had it been
otherwise, it would have been a very serious
matter, as we have been fearful they might 
return and have revenge, and fire the 
warehouses, Court House, Bank, Jail, etc., 
and the wind being very high it would have
caused a terrible conflagration; and even
now, four hours since they left, we have
fears they might return tonight, though
I think not, as they are wending their
way towards the Potomac.
    I am sorry to say that as yet we have 
not seen a Union Soldier to relieve us from 
our troubles.  We were fortunate in sending
nearly all our dry goods away, and we
consequently had but few things to show the
rebels.  I must say that they behaved well
in the store, except two or three rowdies
that had to wait on today.  They have plenty
of money, such as it is.
    We have had no mail for two days being
entirely cut off from the rest of the world,
but hope to get this letter through tomorrow.
    Thursday Morning.-All is quiet and the
rebels have all gone.  I think the mail will 
go down today.