Subject: Annual Report.
To: The Quartermaster General, U. S. A., Washington, D. C.
1. FINANCIAL DISBURSEMENTS, F. Y. 1928, APPROPRIATION.
|Salaries & Wages (Payroll)
|Repairs to Avenues (Contract items)
|Repairs (Motor Equip, Tablets, Mowing Mach.)
|Cleaning & Supplies (Toilet)
|Horse Hire & Miscellaneous Services
|Stationery Printing & Office Supplies
2. "NO YEAR" APPROPRIATION
|Allotted March 15, 1928
|Remitted April 3, 1928
Obligated - Contract of Edward J. Farrell ...............$15,400.00
3. EMPLOYEES: There are now 39 employees, 4 in the office of the Park, 6 guards on the avenues and grounds, 7 artisans and 21 laborers, and the Assistant Superintendent.
4. MONUMENTS, MARKERS AND TABLETS: No additional monuments, markers or tablets were erected during the year. The proposed site selected by the commission from the State of North Carolina for the erection of a State Monument on East Confederate Avenue has been changed to another site on West Confederate Avenue. Up to this time it seems not definitely determined by the North Carolina Commission which will be finally selected.
5. INSPECTION OF THE PARK: Colonel W. R. Gibson, of the Quartermaster
Corps, Washington, D. C. on April 20, 1928, in company with Mr. James B.
Aumen, Assistant Superintendent made an inspection of the condition of
the avenues and roads of the Park.
On May 2, 1928, Major Robert C. F. Goetz, I. G. D., Headquarters, Third Corps Area, Baltimore, Md. in company with the Superintendent and the Assistant Superintendent made the regular inspection of the Park and the Superintendent's office.
6. RESURFACING ROADS AND AVENUES: Progress was made during the year in resurfacing the Telford avenues that were rapidly disintegrating owing to the great amount of traffic by busses and automobiles from all parts of the country.
This work has been made possible by authority to apply to it the farm rentals that had been withheld since 1921. The aggregate amount of this fund, $17,586.54, has been made available for resurfacing the avenues.
A contract, dated April 25, 1928, was made with Edward J. Farrell, Gettysburg, Pa. to resurface the following avenues: Hancock, Two Loops, East Confederate, Sykes, Warren, Sickles, Wheatfield, Buford and North Confederate, a total of slightly over 6 miles, at a contract price of $15,400.00. This work was in progress at the close of the fiscal year 1928, and will be completed early in the fiscal year 1929.
In addition to the resurfacing from the funds from the farm rentals, the following was done from the appropriation for the fiscal year.
On September 20, 1927 a contract for $6,628.11 with M. & T. E. Farrell Co., West Chester, Pa. was made to resurface Sedgwick, Slocum, West Confederate and Meade Avenues.
On March 26, 1928 a contract for $225.00 with M. & T. E. Farrell Co., West Chester, Pa. was made to resurface a section of Reynolds Avenue from the Chambersburg Pike to the W. M. R. R. Crossing. The section from the R. R. crossing to the entrance to the Airport field was resurfaced by the proprietors of the Airport field in consideration for permission to change the established entrance to the tract from its original place on Wadsworth Avenue about midway of the field to a point opposite the northern terminus of Reynolds Avenue, at its junction with Wadsworth Avenue. This was authorized by Revocable License dated November 1, 1927, (QM 680.44 K-RN Gettysburg).
On June 20, 1928 a contract for $437.46 with Edward J. Farrell, Gettysburg, Pa. was made to resurface a section of Pleasonton and a section of Humphreys avenues. Owing to the lateness of the contract this work was not entirely completed until after the end of the fiscal year.
7. MOWING: More than the average amount of spring, summer and autumn mowing was rendered necessary by the unusually wet season. It was accomplished by both horse drawn and motor power mowers. The mounds surrounding monuments and markers are mowed with hand lawn mowers.
8. FENCING: No new post fencing was erected during the year. Owing to the total destruction of chestnut timber by blight it is not possible to get sound material of this kind in this locality. This type of fencing will soon have to be discontinued and other material used instead. It is proposed to substitute concrete posts where wooden fencing is beyond repair. Repairs were made to pipe fencing along the avenues. It is the present intention to begin replacement of wooden fence posts with concrete, progressively as needed, during the coming year. A study is now being made of molds, shape, size and material, with a view to providing a supply of concrete posts for use as required.
9. PAINTING: Painting of gun carriages, pyramids, caissons and limbers, iron tablets and stands, railings, bridges, retaining walls, guard rails, shells and pipe fencing was done, as needed. Many of the farm building and especially the metal roofs, now require painting. This work is all accomplished by painters who are Park employees.
10. GUTTERS & DRAINS: Three and one half miles of the old stone drains along the avenues were removed and concrete drains put in place. This makes a much needed improvement and saves the sides of the avenues from breaking down. It is proposed to continue this work, progressively as funds are available, until all of the unsightly stone drains along the principal avenues have been replaced by concrete. This will lessen the labor needed for repairs and largely eliminate the cost of weed killer and its application.
11. LAND UNDER LEASE: There are now 15 Government owned farms under lease, with an aggregate acreage of 1199.16 acres. There was one change of tenants during the year. The Williams tract containing 88.38 acres was vacated on April 1, 1928. The McMillan and Barrett tract containing 102.60 acres and Powers Hill Field of 10 acres are also not under lease. These three tracts are without buildings and lie adjacent to private owned land, the tenants of which have heretofore leased this land and cultivated it in connection with their own land. As all of these tenants have quit farming it has not been possible to get other tenants. In case other tenants lease the private owned farms with buildings, the adjacent Government tracts may again be leased. The tenants have followed the usual crop rotation prevalent in this vicinity and have taken due care of the buildings and other property.
12. THE McPHERSON HOUSE: It is recommended, that consideration be given restoration of the dwelling on the McPherson farm, which burned some years after the battle. This building was used as a hospital and its restoration as nearly as is now possible would restore a prominent and historical feature of the battlefield as it existed at the time of the battle. It would also enable the tract to be rented to better advantage. Later, it is expected to submit an estimate of the cost of restoration.
13. MEADE'S HEADQUARTERS: This building of logs, is deteriorating through age and action of the elements. By informal request plans for a suitable covering structure are now being considered in the Quartermaster General's office. This structure should, if a sufficient appropriation can be secured, cover the headquarters building, provide toilet facilities for visitors and space for a museum such as was contemplated by the Act of July 27, 1892 (27 Stat., 276) to be established in the headquarters building. It is not large enough for that purpose. It should be cleaned and furnished as nearly as possible as it was at the time of the battle and preserved as the most interesting remaining feature of the battlefield. As it now stands it is not only deteriorating from natural causes but is always in danger from fire.
14. GUIDE SERVICE: On October 15, 1927 an examination was held, of applicants for licenses to operate as guides in conducting tourists over the battlefield and giving them an explanation of the various movements and engagements of the armies during the three day's battle on this field, July 1, 2, 3, 1863. This examination was held under the supervision of W. C. Storrick, Superintendent of Guides. Twenty-nine applicants entered the class and of this number seventeen successfully passed the examination with a grade of 60 or more. Of this number two were licensed to operate during the present calendar year and fifteen placed on an eligible list to fill vacancies as they may occur from time to time. Ninety-nine former licensed guides were relicensed at the beginning of the calendar year making the total number one hundred and one. Guides are required to wear a uniform including a cap and cap number and render a quarterly report, to the Superintendent, of their operations showing the number of tourists and the number of trips made by each. By this system a fairly correct estimate of the total number of tourists visiting the Park from year to year is obtained. A schedule of rates has been adopted. This has corrected a number of irregularities in the matter of charges and is giving general satisfaction to the tourists as well as to the guides. The modern motor propelled vehicles has wrought a marked increase in the number of tourists who visit the field in comparison with the transportation means of years ago. It has also been the cause of increased wear on the avenues and has increased the work of keeping them in repair. The resurfacing already accomplished will lessen the need for repairs. When it is completed the repair needs will be reduced to a minimum. According to the guides reports about 800,000 tourists visited the Park.
E. E. Davis, EED-SS Superintendent.