GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK COMMISSION,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1920
Sir: We have the honor to submit the annual report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1920.
During the year 41 employees, under 16 designations, were at work at their various duties, as follows: Five persons were engaged in the office of the commission, 6 guards were on duty on the avenues and other grounds of the national park, 20 artisans and 7 laborers and 1 hostler were making progress at their duties in the park under the direction of the first assistant superintendent, the second assistant superintendent looked after the avenues and piked roads and has had necessary repairs made.
CONTRACTS AND BIDS
Equipment, material, and supplies were furnished upon bids. Few contracts have been made under bonds, except for piking avenues or furnishing special labor and material. The work in the park, except by contract and by ids, is performed by the commission's force of employees. The last item under contracts and bids in the report of 1919 was numbered 496, the list for the current year begins with No. 497.
Monuments and markers, Nos. 497,548.
Materials and supplies, Nos. 498, 499, 502, 504, 509, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 524, 525, 526, 528, 530, 532, 534, 537, 540, 541, 542, 544, 546, 547, 551, 555, 559, 561, 564, 565, 566, 569, 570, 573, 575, 579, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 588.
Repairs, Nos. 503, 510, 529, 533, 535, 536, 543, 560, 574, 580, 581, 589, 594.
Renewing piked avenues and roads, Nos. 500, 501, 519, 521, 538, 545, 549, 550, 556, 562, 563, 576, 591, 592, 595.
Stationery, printing, office supplies, etc., Nos. 506, 507, 508, 511, 520, 527, 539, 552, 558, 567, 578, 597.
Fencing material, etc., Nos. 522, 523, 568, 571, 587, 593.
Miscellaneous items, Nos. 505, 518, 531, 553, 554, 557, 572, 577, 590, 596, 598.
MONUMENTS, MARKERS, AND TABLETS
Designs and detail drawings were prepared for the following headquarters markers. That of Maj. Gen. George G. Meade, commanding the Army of the Potomac, was placed on Meade Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Doubleday, First Corps, on Reynolds Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Newton, second position, First Corps, on Pleasonton Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Hancock, Second Corps, on Pleasonton Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Sickles, Third Corps, on United States Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Sykes, Fifth Corps, on Sedgwick Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Sedgwirk, Sixth Corps, on Sedgwick Avenue.
Maj. Gen. Howard, Eleventh Corps, on East Cemetery Hill.
Maj. Gen. Slocum, Twelfth Corps, on Baltimore Pike.
The Army headquarters marker has a granite base on a concrete foundation supporting a very large bronze cannon; a large bronze tablet with the inscription is fastened on the front of the die.
The corps headquarters markers are of similar construction, except that the cannon used are steelrifled guns very large and heavy. The granite of the stonework is from the battlefield, and was quarried, dressed, placed in position, and completed by the commission's regular force of artisans, the location of the Doubleday, First Corps, and the Slocum, Twelfth Corps, headquarters, the First on Chambersburg Pike and the Twelfth on Power Hill, are difficult of access, the markers were placed at the nearest points to the headquarters on an avenue or public highway and a bronze tablet fastened to the base of each, giving the distance and direction to the proper location; the First Corps marker is located on Reynolds Avenue and the Twelfth Corps marker on Baltimore Pike, 1 1/2 miles from Gettysburg.
Two iron tablets on iron stands were erected on Emmitsburg Road at South Cavalry Field in October, 1919; they point out the location of granite markers with bronze tablets, which are located upon the line of battle held there on July 3, 1863, by detachments of the First and Second United States Regular Cavalry.
Seventeen Iron tablets were ordered to be erected at points designated. These tablets have been completed and placed in the storage building on Pleasonton Avenue until the locations are marked.
The list is as follows:
One tablet to mark United States public roads. Four tablets against speeding on avenues. One tablet to be placed on Coster Avenuean avenue tablet. Two tablets lettered "Keep to the right." Four tablets, "Keep off this mound." On tablet, "Do not drive on this ground." Four tablets, "Keep off the grass."
Two new tablets, to be prepared for each end of Brooke Avenue from the intersection with Sickles Avenue, the lettering stating what they stand for, to be determined by the commission.
PIKED AVENUES AND ROADS
Bids were accepted and screenings furnished to repair the piked avenues and roads of the park from the following dealers in crushed stone: Samuel Robinson furnished, delivered, and spread 1,600 tons costing $4,750. M. & T. E. Farrell furnished 290 tons at their quarry (hauled and spread by Robinson), costing $846.79. A contract was made with M. & T. E. Farrell for 500 tons of 1 1/2inch crushed stone and 500 tons of screenings, all to be delivered and spread by them for $3,420.
For the first half of the fiscal year the expenditure for screenings used and ordered amounted to $9,016.79, for the whole year for additional material furnished and work in repairs upon the avenues and roads by contractors and the added cost of the labor on them by the commission's own force, the total cost being $15,131.
It has been customary for several years to purchase road oil for the curves and grades of the avenues. This was done in 1918 for all the curves and grades of the avenues, a total distance of 7 miles, costing $3,645.
The workmen of the commission began the repairs to the banks and gutters along the 35 miles of piked roads as soon as the frost was out, also clearing off the surface and raking over the loose screenings, repairing the paving of the gutters and cleaning them. The whole length of the gutters, about 31 miles, were then treated with about 100 barrels of diluted herbicide, applied by a force of employees of the commission. The mixture was composed of 5 barrels of pure herbicide and 95 barrels of water. Three barrels of this dilution was used to each mile of gutter and has always been effective in destroying any kind of growth in them.
The gun carriages have been stripped of many small parts, carried away by people as souvenirs when guards were not present.
The missing parts have to be replaced from time to time and all necessary repairs made to the guns and gun carriages. The guns, carriages, and pyramids have been given a coat of paint. There are 410 of the mounted guns on the Infantry and Cavalry Battlefields, and 7 caissons and limbers on Hancock Avenue.
In addition to the guns and gun carriages, pyramids, caissons, and limbers, much other painting has been done during the year. All the iron tablets and stands, all railings on bridges and retaining walls, all hitching rails, and all guard shells and chains along the avenues have been painted; also the interior of tenant houses on United States land where painting was necessary. Three painters have been employed at this work; also, they have painted 5,000 feet of pipe fencing on avenues, the flagpole at Meade's headquarters, and all the guard shelters.
On account of the condition of the old fencing the work for the year was mostly along the line of repairs. For the first half of the year only 204 panels of new fencing had been erected and 605 panels of old fencing reset and repaired. It is necessary to follow this plan from year to year to keep the fencing in good condition.
Five hundred panels of new fence material were ordered from Mr. Naugle, and James A. Felix engaged to erect it. Five hundred panels of post fencing were destroyed on United States land occupied by the camp. This has not been restored. The posts of this destroyed fencing had been treated with creosote oil in 1918.
Four hundred panels of new fencing material have been ordered for 1921.
The usual spring , summer, and autumn mowing all over the open grounds of the three battlefields has been continued as long as the grass continues to grow. It is accomplished by the employees using horse lawnmowing machines, sidecut horse mowers, and hand lawn mowers. A motorpower lawn mower has been purchased and is at work in the park. The mounds of the headquarters markers have been mowed, also the whole of the park grounds have been put in first class condition.
CARE OF THE GROVES
Attention has been given to the groves in the National Park and the Cavalry Battlefields connected with the park. Two parties of United States employees have been doing the work as the weather permits; they dress up all the unsightly trees, remove dead and decayed parts, clean up and burn all the rubbish. This work has been done this spring of 1920 in the Cunningham tract east of Little Round Top and in the groves of Culps Hill.
The following sodding was done in the park in the autumn of 1919, and spring of 1920, viz: The mounds of the monuments of Culps Hill, also 3,000 feet of banks, and the mounds of the nine headquarters markers lately prepared for sodding.
The concrete work consists of building small bridges, culverts, and catch basins of avenues; excavating for and building foundations for monuments and markers, concreting large gate posts, building walls, concrete walks, etc., within the park. The work is done principally by the artisans and laborers of the commission under a competent inspector. In April the said employees excavated and erected concrete foundations for the nine headquarters markers; the granite work was also set up by them and the markers completed for inspection on June 10.
Two culverts were built at Spangler's spring in May; the paved gutters on East Confederate Avenue washed out during the winter of 1919 were relayed and cross sections of concrete put in at intervals of 20 feet to hold the paving in place; there were 1,600 feet of this gutter paving that had to be rebuilt; 1,200 feet of new gutter was built on Wright Avenue in the Autumn of 1919.
UNITED STATES LAND<p> Condition of United States land occupied as the camp site of detachment of the United States Army from June, 1917, to October 31, 1919.
On May 24, 1919, the camp equipment consisting of the buildings, drain, sewer and water pipes was sold to the Lewis Wrecking Co., of Chicago, Ill., by the Quartermaster Department, United States Army.
By the contract of sale six months' time was allowed for the removal of the equipment and the restoration of the land as far as practical to its original condition.
The first part of the contract has been carried out; all of the equipment has been removed, but we regret to report nothing has been done along the line of restoration of this most interesting part of the field.
A large area remains covered with the debris of the camp; several miles of tarviacovered roads and deep drains running in all directions mar the different areas of the battlefield.
On April 30, 1920, a meeting was called at the office of the commission by Col. Lutz Wahl, United States Army, and Attorney H. P. Wood, as representatives of the Board of Appraisers of the War Department, at which time claims for damage sustained by tenants were heard.
By request, of Col. Wahl a detailed estimate of work needed to restore the United States land occupied as a camp was prepared and forwarded to him. This estimate is now under consideration by the board of appraisers.
UNITED STATES LAND UNDER LEASE
Nineteen farms, with a total area of 1,400 acres, were leased to tenants during the year. As a rule, these were well cultivated and crops comparing favorably with good agricultural sections elsewhere were raised. A detailed statement of these is made up and reported from year to year by William C. Storrick, in care of the farms. Needed repairs were made to the buildings and fencing in order that they may be preserved.
UNITED STATES LAND NOT UNDER LEASE
The plots given by the chairman to pupils of the Gettysburg schools for cultivation as gardens during the two preceding years were given out again this year. These were planted in potatoes, corn, and other crops. A detailed statement of these, which were as a rule very creditable, was made up and reported to the chairman by William C. Storrick, in care of the United States farms.
INSPECTION OF GETTYSBURG NATIONAL PARK APRIL 7 AND 8, 1920
Mr. Robert E. Parker, of the War Department, reached Gettysburg on his tour of inspection under department orders on April 7. He visited the office of the National Park Commission and was shown the progress of the work in the different departments, given access to the records, and the character of the method of continuing the establishment of the park explained.
On the morning of the 8th he was taken over the avenues of the park, accompanied by the engineer, Lieut. Col. E. B. Cope, assistant superintendent, and the forester.
John P. Nicholson,
The Secretary of War
Gettysburg National Park
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1920 (no year)
Balance July 1, 1910 $3,336.92
Certificate of deposit No. 4227, Mar 20, 1919, rent 101.00
Certificate of deposit No. 7940, May 15,1919, rent 1,258.50
Certificate of deposit No. 8931, May 29, 1919, rent 96.00
Certificate of deposit No. 11787, July 9, 1919, rent 96.00
Certificate of deposit No. 13158, July 28, 1919, rent 96.00
Certificate of deposit No. 15300, Aug. 30, 1919, rent 79.92
Certificate of deposit No. 19165, Secretary of War 1,256.50
Certificate of deposit No. 20756, Secretary of War 69.50
Certificate of deposit No. 24526, Secretary of War 21.17
Certificate of deposit No. 30484, Secretary of War 1,187.50
Equipment and supplies $546.66
Stationery and office supplies 16.28
Typewriting and stenography 40.87
New fencing 108.00
Repairs to fencing 60.00
Balance June 30, 1920 6,582.23
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ended June 30,1920
Appropriation July 1, 1919 $50,000.00
Salaries and wages $26,181.69
Renewing piked avenues and roads 7,656.29
Equipment, material, and supplies 3,492.81
Stationery, printing, office supplies 448.39
Monuments and markers 636.28
Typewriting and stenography 499.23
Fencing and fence repairs 667.80
Tools and tool repair 423.88
Treasury settlement No. 3386, printing 26.60
Treasury settlement No. 3468, printing 131.55
Treasury settlement No. 3555, printed matter 46.44
Miscellaneous items 391.27
Balance July 1, 1920 9,027.27
Salaries and wages $2,200.95
Renewing piked roads 550.00
Equipment, material, and supplies 473.57
Stationery, printing, office supplies 82.20
Fencing and repairs 108.00
Tools and repairs 78.00
Accepted bid of M. & T. E. Farrell, screenings 3,420.00
Accepted bid of Samuel Robinson, screenings 825.00
Accepted bid of McDonald & Co., repairs 85.50
Accepted bid of Ideal Motor Co., lawn mower 360.00
Accepted bid of J. Tawney, wall 77.00
Other outstanding bills 325.31
Unobligated balance 194.43
Statement of the condition of the Gettysburg National Military Park June 30, 1920.
Government owned acres 2,438.60
Private owned do 11,594.50
East Cavalry battlefield:
Government owned do 40.87
Private owned do 9,059.13
South Cavalry battlefield:
Government owned do 6.90
Private owned do 1,320.00
Total Government owned 2,486.37
Total private owned 21,973.63
Telford avenues and piked roads miles 34.25
Projected do 1.09
Earth roads do 24.00
Avenue fencing miles 15.00
Post fencing do 37.74
Post fencing erected in 1919 do .40
Total fencing do 53.14
Stone bridges 25
Stone culverts 12
Steel towers 5
Pennsylvania Memorial Tower 1
Fortyfourth New York Tower 1
Monuments erected by States and organizations 839
Bronze equestrian statues 5
Bronze statues on pedestals 28
Bronze statues on monuments 27
Granite statues on monuments 21
Total statues 81
Bronze relief and plain tablets on monuments 180
Bronze tablets mounted in 1919 11
Total relief and plain tablets on monuments 191
Bronze tablets on pedestals 755
Total tablets and reliefs 946
Iron tablets before reported 455
Erected in 1919 9
Granite markers on pedestals 323
Mounted cannon, caissons, and limbers 417
Land previously reported, owned by the United States acres 2,428.95
Land ceded to the United States 45.00
Land acquired from Electric Railroad Co. 13.37
Spring & Hotel Co. land 43.00
Total land owned by United States this date acres 2,530.32