GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK COMMISSION,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1919.
To the SECRETARY OF WAR.
TO THE SECRETARY OF WAR.
SIR: I have the honor to submit report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1919.
OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES.
Col. John P. Nicholson was appointed chairman of the commission by the Hon. Daniel Lamont, Secretary of War, when the commission was first constituted, July, 1893, and has been chairman to date. The other members, appointed at that time, were Maj. Gen. William H. Forney, of Alabama, and John B. Bachelder, of Massachusetts. Maj. William M. Robbins, of North Carolina, succeeded Gen. Forney at his death and Maj. Charles A. Richardson, of New York, succeeded John B. Bachelder at his death. Maj. Robbins was succeeded by Maj. Gen. L. L. Lomax, of Virginia. Col. Nicholson is the only surviving commissioner.
There have been many changes in the designation of the employees, and about the beginning of the fiscal year 1914 they were classified, and since that time have been carried on the rolls as artisans and laborers. Many have died, others taken different employment, and new men have been added to the force.
No land has been acquired during the current fiscal year. The amount of Governmentowned and privately owned land will be contained under caption Statement of condition of the park, in this report.
LIST OF CONTRACTS AND BIDS.
The last serial number of bids in last years report was No. 448, the first of this year will therefore be No. 449.
Renewing United States public roads in park, Nos. 451, 462, 463, 467, 470, 477, 478.
Equipment, materials, and supplies, Nos. 449, 452, 456, 457, 458, 460, 461, 465, 466, 468, 469, 472, 473, 474, 475, 479, 481, 483, 484, 485, 486, 488, 489, 490, 493, 494, 495, 496.
Repairs, Nos. 450, 455, 471, 476, 480, 491, 492.
Stationery, printing, office supplies, Nos. 454, 464.
New fencing, Nos. 453, 482, 487.
Repairs to fencing, No. 459.
MONUMENTS, MARKERS, AND TABLETS.
The statues erected by the State of Pennsylvania to Gens. Geary, Hays, and Humphreys in 1915, and transferred to the United States were to have been dedicated in October, 1917, the date was changed to October 3, 1918, then was postponed to July 1, 1919. The ceremonies were to have been held at the Pennsylvania Memorial, but owing to the death of Gen. H. S. Huidekoper, November 9, 1918, chairman of the commission that erected these statues, the dedication was again postponed.
There have been no monuments or markers erected on the battle field during the fiscal year, except the Gen. Lee headquarters marker and tablet, located on the Chambersburg Pike to the north of the Lutheran Theological Seminary. Bronze and iron tablets have been erected as follows: A bronze tablet was mounted on the Second Massachusetts Monument by a committee of the regiment on June 11, 1918.
Col. E. H. Haskell, of Boston, Mass., and Dr. Fred W. Owen, of Morristown, N.J. (of Gen. Webbs staff), on May 1, 1919, visited Little Round Top and selected a place on the surface of a large bowlder on the summit to mount a tablet as a memorial to the United States Signal Corps. This tablet has been placed in position and was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies May 16, 1919, and the Itinerary Tablet of the Army of the Potomac in front of W. P. Englars house at Uniontown, Md., was moved to a better position by agreement with the chairman.
There is no new action to report in relation to the proposed erection of bronze statues to Gens. Howard and Chamberlain by the State of Maine.
Statement of the condition of the Gettysburg National Military Park
June 30, 1919.
June 30, 1919.Infantry battle field:
Government owned acres 2,395.60
Private owned 11,637.50
East Cavalry battle field:
Government owned 40.87
Private owned 9,059.13
South Cavalry battle field:
Government owned 6.90
Private owned 1,320.00
Total Government owned 2,443.37
Total private owned 22,016.63
Telford avenues and piked roads 34.25
Earth roads 24.00
Avenue fencing 15.00
Post fencing 36.54
Post fencing erected in 1919 1.20
Total fencing 52.74
Stone bridges 25
Stone culverts 10
Steel towers 5
Pennsylvania Memorial Tower 1
Fortyfourth New York Tower 1
Monuments erected by States and organizations 820
Bronze equestrian statues 5
Bronze statues on pedestals 28
Bronze statues on monuments 27
Granite statues on monuments 21
Total statues 81
Bronze relief and plain tablets on monuments 178
Bronze tablets mounted in 1919 2
Total relief and plain tablets on monuments 180
Bronze tablets on pedestals 753
Total tablets and reliefs 935
Iron tablets before reported 455
Erected in 1919 9
Granite markers on pedestals 323
Mounted cannon, caissons, and limbers 417
Land previously reported, owned by the United States 2,428.95
Land ceded to the United States 45.00
Land acquired from Electric Railroad Co 13.37
Total land owned by United States this dateacres 2,487.32
Appropriations, July 1, 1918 $50,000.00
Salaries and wages $25,834.17
Renewing piked avenues 15,992.19
Equipment, materials, etc 3,868.53
Stationery, printing, office supplies 111.81
Monuments, markers, etc 110.00
Typewriting and stenography 359.54
Fencing and repairs to fencing 796.90
Tools and repairs to tools 24.50
Treasury settlements: No. 2722, $5.41; No. 2386, $26.92;
No. 2457, $41.21 73.54
Balance, June 30, 1919 2,341.69
Salaries and wages, etc.; artisans and laborers $ 1,223.50
Engineers and guards 855.00
Gettysburg Electric Co 1.00
James A Felix 60.00
C. M. Wolf 12.50
Adams County Hardware Co 8.85
Kelly & Oyler 7.70
Charles Rosensteel 8.25
F. Weber & Co. 4.05
American Express Co. 1.90
Atlantic and Refining 33.75
T. S. Blocher 41.00
Treasury settlement No. 3029, printing 44.60
For supplies from supply division 39.57
Unobligated balance .02
Balance July 1, 1918 $3,258.65
Certificate of deposit:
No. 2424, rent 96.00
No. 605, rent 136.00
No. 3585, rent 96.00
No. 9326, rent 91.00
No. 8292, rent 218.50
No. 8494, rent 15.00
No. 8542, rent 71.00
No. 3019, rent 106.00
No. 1214, rent 91.00
Renewing road in park $584.69
Equipment and supplies 728.52
Stationery, printing, etc 68.23
Typewriting and stenography 49.64
New fencing 144.00
Repairs to fencing 90.00
Treasury settlements: No. 33287, $11.79;
No. 2896, $14.35 26.14
Balance June 30, 1919 3,336.92
CAMP OF UNITED STATES TROOPS IN THE PARK AND VICINITY.
Camp Colt was established in the park in the spring of 1918, using the buildings, water system, drill, and parade grounds of the camps established in center of the park in 1917. Nearly all the troops of the Tank Corps and all the other troops have moved away or been mustered out of the service, leaving a very small guard and the United States property in charge of the quartermasters department. Action has been taken to abandon the camp and sell the buildings. Bids have been asked to dismantle the camp ground and restore it to its original condition.
CAMP EQUIPMENT. On May 24, 1919, the camp equipment, consisting of the buildings, drain, sewer, and water pipes was sold to the Lewis Wrecking Co., of Rock Island, Ill., by the Quartermasters Department, United States Army.
A set of specifications designating the work to be done in restoring the park land after the removal of the camp equipment was prepared by the commission and a copy was sent to the chief of construction, Washington, D.C., with the request that it be incorporated in the contract for sale. A copy was also furnished the quartermaster in charge of Camp Colt, and a copy was furnished by him to the purchaser.
Six months time was allowed the purchaser for the removal of the buildings, pipes, and the restoring of the land as far as practical to its former condition. The dismantling of the buildings and the work of removing the pipes is now being done on the privateowned land. A large number of the buildings have been sold, but as yet few have been removed from the park land, and the work to be done here will not likely be completed before the winter.
The wrecking company has a reputation for fair dealing and the work of restoring the land will be carried out as far as possible.
About 4,500 cords of wood belonging to the Government and not included in the sale of the camp remained on the park land. Bids for the sale of this are now being received and when sold will be removed.
CULTIVATION OF UNITED STATES LAND UNDER LEASE.
There were 19 properties with a total acreage of 1,400 acres under lease during the year. As in the preceding year over 200 acres of land belonging to the Codori, Trostle, Smith, and the Bryan properties were used as part of the site of Camp Colt, thereby reducing the acreage actually under cultivation, and production of farm crops. A detailed statement of all the crops raised during the year as well as the number of the live stock kept by the tenants was compiled and reported to the commission at the end of the year.
During the year a change of tenants was made at the Hummelbaugh, Bryan, Althoff, Wentz, and Masonheimer properties. On account of the advance in prices of farm products, an advance of $263 was made in the rents of the tenants. Rents have all been promptly paid, the properties, as a rule, are well kept, and are under the personal supervision of the forrester, William C. Storrick, a practical and thorough farmer, and the production of crops compare favorably with those of other parts of the State.
Mr. William C. Storrick has the leasing of the 19 farms belonging to the United States in the park and looks after the repairs to buildings, etc.; he directs the tenants in their farm work and has a general supervision over all farm matters.
LAND NOT UNDER LEASE.
The plots of land that were given by the chairman of the commission last year to pupils of Gettysburg schools for cultivation as war gardens were given out again this year. The work done by them was creditable and the results obtained very satisfactory both as to quantity and quality.
The size of the plots, numbering 25 in all, range in size from oneeighth to 1 acre. The pupils were required to make a complete report at the end of the season, which was compiled and reported to the chairman of the commission.
Lieut. Col. Emmor B. Cope entered on his duties as the engineer July 17, 1893. Served with distinction during the war, 18611865, upon the staffs of Gens. Meade and Warren, and breveted for gallant and meritorious services. His assistance from his presence in the battle has been invaluable, faithful, loyal, and efficient. His aid to the commission merits their grateful acknowledgment.
The statues to Gens. Doubleday and Robinson, mentioned in report of 1918 as having been dedicated with appropriate ceremonies, although not at that time finished, have been completed.
Three iron tablets were contracted for by the commission and have been erected as follows:
Joness C.S.A. Brigade Tablet between Orrtanna and Fairfield on the Fairfield and Orrtanna Road.
Imbodens C.S.A. Brigade Tablet at Cashtown, Pa.
Robertsons C.S.A. Brigade Tablet at Orrtanna, Pa.
Five iron tablets were purchased and have been placed along the piked avenues in the park.
PIKED AVENUES AND PUBLIC ROADS.
Bids were asked in June, 1918, to pike an avenue on the land acquired from the Gettysburg Electric Co. along the south side of the United States National Cemetery and the Evergreen Cemetery from Baltimore Pike to Taneytown Road. There was but one bid. It was not excessive and was accepted by the commission and submitted to the War Department. No authority has been given to construct this avenue.
At the request of Maj. D. D. Eisenhower, U.S.A., commander of Camp Colt, and in consultation with Capt. F. B. Moore, quartermaster, an agreement was made with the Gettysburg National Park Commission to rebuild 1 mile of the Emmitsburg Road which had been destroyed by the heavy United States trucks, the commission to furnish crushed stone, tear up the surface of the road, do the rolling and sprinkling, and furnish an inspector. The Quartermaster Department to furnish the trucks to haul the stone and the labor to load them at the quarry and spread on the road, after which the rolling and sprinkling would be done. The quartermaster promised to order road oil and oil the surface of the road when in proper condition after the rolling.
On September 1, 1918, a contract was made, with the approval of the Secretary of War, with M. & T. E. Farrell to supply the commissions part of the work for $5,760, to be finished December 31, 1918.
The work went on until the armistice was signed, in November, as the quartermasters part of the work was being done with Army trucks and enlisted men. There was trouble after that in having the hauling and spreading done. The agreement on the part of the Quartermaster Department was never completed, consequently the National Park Commission was obliged to hire trucks and employ labor to finish the work. Samuel Robinson was paid $750 for hauling stone; labor furnished by the commission, $611.65; extra materials used, $250.92. A total cost of $7,372.57 that had to be paid by the commission to rebuild the 1 mile of piking.
Screenings were contracted for and delivered during the fiscal year as follows:
Samuel Robinson furnished and spread 1,500 tons of limestone screenings at $4,700; M. & T. E. Farrell furnished at their quarry on Rock Creek 680 tons at $1,387. They also furnished to rebuild the Emmitsburg Road 2,000 tons at $4,080. Total paid for screenings, $10,167.
OILING THE CURVES AND GRADES OF AVENUES.
A contract was made with the Atlantic Refining Co. to oil the grades of the avenues and from 100 to 250 feet of each curve. The whole distance to be oiled was estimated at 7 miles, an average width of 18 feet. This was done in July, at a cost of $3,645.
It has been the custom for a number of years to pound down the paving stone of the avenue gutters and also the sod along the banks of the gutters as soon as the frost is out of the ground in the spring. This was done in March, and 5 barrels of herbicide were ordered and have been used to kill the weeds in the gutters and sides of the avenues.
There are 30 1/2 miles of these gutters on the battle field; no new paving has been done during the fiscal year owing to the encampment of troops here, and the uncertainty of the length of time the national park would be used as a camp ground.
Six gun carriages have been added to the guns marking the positions of four Confederate batteries, and one pyramid of shells set up at each gun. The cost, including gun carriages, foundation, and pyramids was $960.
The guards have been reporting much petty pilfering, principally from the gun carriages in the park at places and times when guards are not in sight and at night. Many small parts of the gun carriages were unscrewed and carried away and have to be constantly renewed, which is troublesome as well as expensive. Some chipping from the granite markers and monuments has also been reported.
Three painters are at work painting the gun carriages and guns, avenue fencing, iron tablets, bridges, railings, etc. They also polish the surface of the lettering on the bronze tablets.
The mowing in the park has been kept up as reported from year to year, except where the grounds have been occupied by the tents and buildings of Camp Colt. It would be economy to change the method of mowing by the use of modern machinery.
CARE OF THE GROVES.
A force of workmen has been engaged during the summer and autumn of 1918 and spring of 1919 in the various groves of the park. They have cut out the dead limbs and dead trees, trimmed the unsightly ones and much underbrush and have very much improved the appearance of Powers Hill, Culps Hill, Little Round Top, Reynolds Grove, part of the tract east of Little Round Top, along United States Avenue and North Confederate Avenue.
Sodding has been continued. All the banks and monument mounds along Slocum Avenue, Geary Avenue, East Confederate and West Confederate Avenues, all the banks and mounds on the First Days Battlefield, and on Little Round Top. About 10,000 square yards of sod were used.
During the year the condition of South Cavalry Field has been much improved. The dilapidated barbwire fence has been removed and sold and a post fence erected. A new concrete culvert was built at the intersection of the Emmitsburg road and new water drains put in at the crossing at the Ridge Road.
East Cavalry Field has been kept in good condition and all the mowing, trimming, repairs to fencing, and care of the avenues has been done by the man on duty there. A short section of the barbwire fencing remaining is to be removed, and a post fence erected. The entire line will then consist of the same find of fence. Grass seed was sown on the old roadbed, and it is now generally well sodded.
A large party of workmen are engaged at this work principally at culverts, walks, foundations, and repairs to damages by the troops over the battlefield. They have built a number of culverts and pipe walls, repaired many cap stones and shell stones which are constantly being knocked off and damaged by reckless driving of autos and trucks.
The cement walk from Confederate Avenue to Round Top Tower, 1,300 feet long, 4 feet wide, was rebuilt by the concrete builders of the commission with much labor and expense. All the material and appliances had to be hauled to the foot of Round Top and the concrete mixed there and then hauled up the steep slope by horse and sled. This was successfully accomplished and the walk built under the direction of the efficient assistant superintendent, Mr. James B. Aumen.
JOHN P. NICHOLSON,
* * * * * * *
Source: Annual Reports of the Secretary of War
National Archives and Records Administration