GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK COMMISSION,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1917.
TO THE SECRETARY OF WAR.
SIR: We submit the annual report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1917.
OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES.
Chairman and commissioner, Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson; engineer, Lieut. Col. E. B. Cope; 2 assistant superintendents, 1 rodman, 1 messenger, 1 hostler, 4 guards, 4 carpenters, 1 carpenters assistant, 4 painters, 6 concrete buildings, 1 inspector, 9 pavers, 1 steam engineer and 1 helper, 5 laborers, 2 employees with horses and carts, 1 employee with 2 horses and wagon, and 1 temporary employee with horse and cart.
Total land within the park area, reported June 30, 1916, 2,451.06 acres.
No land has been acquired since report of 1916.
CONTRACTS FOR PIKING AVENUES.
Contract No. 276 made with M. & T. E. Farrell for piking two sections of a macadam avenue on the East Cavalry Field. No. 309 made with M. & T. E. Farrell for piking a macadam avenue from West Confederate Avenue westerly to the Sharpshooters Monuments, Third Corps, in the Pitzer woods. No. 361 for making a macadam roadway, etc., around the Virginia memorial.
BIDS FOR LABOR, MATERIALS, ETC.
Equipment for flagpole, Nos. 287, 325.
Repairs to motor truck, Nos. 288, 307, 317, 324, 334.
Supplies for stable, Nos. 289, 297, 306, 315, 321, 329, 333, 339, 343, 344, 348.
Farm materials and supplies, Nos. 290, 294, 301, 302, 308, 314, 316, 319, 320, 322, 323, 326, 332, 341.
Paints, oils, and varnish, Nos. 303, 304, 313, 327, 328, 353.
Materials for repairing roads, etc., Nos. 299, 300, 310, 311, 318, 331, 340, 342, 345, 347, 350.
Repairing and painting towers, Nos. 291, 293.
Tools, Nos. 292, 298.
Maps, map rolls, and printing, Nos. 295, 296, 330.
Drugs, etc., Nos. 305, 312.
MONUMENTS AND TABLETS.
A bill was introduced and an appropriation made by the Legislature of Pennsylvania of $5,000 for the use of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Commission to transport the survivors of the commands and to dedicate the statues of Gens. Alexander Hays, A. A. Humphreys, and John W. Geary erected on the battlefield in 1915.
THE PENNSYLVANIA MEMORIAL.
Additional work has been /ne upon the memorial. A design was made by the engineer of the National Park Commission for a bronze /or to replace the wooden /or in the /me of the memorial. This has been finished by Bureau Bros. of Philadelphia, and placed in position.
THE VIRGINIA MEMORIAL.
The pedestal for this memorial was erected in 1913.
The bronze statue was mounted on the pedestal, and the bronze group of figures representing the Artillery, Infantry, and Cavalry of the Confederate Army was placed in position on the east base of the pedestal in December, 1916.
An appropriation was made by Congress in the deficiency bill, 1917, for $925 to grade and pike a roadway around the memorial. Specifications and blue prints were made setting forth the work to be /ne and mailed to contractors. Bids were received and rejected; they were in the judgment of the commission excessive. Papers were again prepared and a contract was made and the contractor notified to go immediately to work. He completed the roadway June 2, 1917, which was in accordance with his agreement. The balance of the contract was completed on June 30.
CHAMBERLAIN AND HOWARD STATUES.
A resolution was introduced in the Legislature of the State of Maine,
February 28, 1917, recommending an appropriation for statues to Gens. Joshua Chamberlain and O. O. Howard.
THE DEDICATION OF THE VIRGINIA MEMORIAL.
On the 10th of May, 1917, Col. Joseph Button was sent to Gettysburg by Gov. Stuart, of Virginia, to make arrangements for the dedication of the Virginia memorial, which was to take place on June 8 at 2 oclock p.m. He employed Charles Kappes to take charge of the erection of a dedication platform, draping the pedestal and statues, etc.
The governor of Virginia and members of his staff accompanied by Gov. M. G. Brumbaugh, of Pennsylvania, arrived at 2.30 oclock p.m. June 8, and proceeded with the dedication.
First. The meeting was called to order by Hon. Henry C. Stuart, governor of Virginia.
Second. Invocation by James Power Smith, D.D., formerly aid-de-camp to Gen. Jackson.
Third. Memorial unveiled by Miss Anne Carter Lee, granddaughter of Gen. Robert E. Lee.
Fifth. Presentation of memorial by Gov. Stuart.
Sixth. Acceptance, Hon. William M. Ingraham, Assistant Secretary of War.
Seventh. Oration, Leigh Robinson, of the Richmond Howitzers.
Eighth. Benediction, Right Rev. Robert A. Gibson, D.D., of the Rockbridge Artillery.
STATUES TO GENS. /UBLEDAY AND ROBINSON.
An appropriation of $9,000 having been made by the New York Legislature to be expended by the New York Monuments Commission to erect on the Gettysburg battlefield bronze statues to Maj. Gen. Abner /ubleday and Brig. Gen. John C. Robinson, members of the commission, visited the battlefield, consulted with the National Park Commissioners and, assisted by them, selected sites on the field.
The locations were approved by the Secretary of War July 6, 1916. The foundations were staked out by the engineer of this commission and the foundation walls have been completed. The sculptor J. Massey Rhind, has the statues well under way, and the dedication will take place in the autumn of 1917.
THE GREGG STATUE.
A bill was introduced at the present session of the Legislature of Pennsylvania by Hon. D. Calvin Rudisill, appropriating $30,000 to be expended by the Pennsylvania Monuments Commission to erect an equestrian statue on East Cavalry Field to Bvt. Maj. Gen. David McM. Gregg.
M. & T. E. Farrell, contractors, were given the contract to grade and pike two sections of an avenue on East Cavalry Field, a total length of 11,496 feet, 12 feet wide. They began the work on June 5 and it was completed November 14, 1916. The contract price was $12,912. Culverts had been prepared, and a strip of land purchased from Wellington J. Swope for the purpose of widening a part of this avenue. Four additional guns will be mounted to increase the number of Confederate cannon on this avenue. The grounds on both sides of the avenue have been sown with grass seed.
The national flag is kept flying except in stormy weather on the Cavalry battle field and an employee of the commission is on duty 11 months in the year as caretaker.
THE SHARPSHOOTERS AVENUE.
This avenue was staked out June 23, 1916. Specifications were prepared and mailed to contractors and bids asked for to grade and pike it. The contract was awarded to M. & T. E. Farrell, they being the lowest bidders. The award was approved by the Assistant Secretary of War August 1, and the contract signed on August 4, 1916. The work was completed in December, 1916.
A culvert was built at the entrance of the avenue by the concrete builders of the commission, connecting the Sharpshooters Avenue with West Confederate Avenue. A tablet was placed at each side of the entrance, directing visitors to the monuments of Companies A, B, D, H, First United States Sharpshooters and Third Maine.
Bids were received from Samuel Robinson to furnish limestone screenings; also to haul and spread them on the avenues and public roads that have been piked, and are maintained by the United States within the limits of the park. He has furnished during the fiscal year 2,000 tons; M. & T. E. Farrell furnished during the year 225 tons--a total of 2,225 tons.
CULVERTS, GUTTER PAVING, AND REPAIRS TO GUTTER PAVING.
Eleven small culverts and pipe walls have been built during the year, 2,450 feet of gutter paving have been completed and 1,000 feet repaired, 3 concrete walks have been made, 15 shell stones, and 11 guard stones have been erected.
Number of guns mounted on the he field reported for the fiscal year of 1916, 410. No additional gun carriages have been ordered during the current year. The painters began repainting the carriages and guns in April, 1917.
The fencing material for the year was furnished by E. J. Naugle, upon his bid, and erected upon United States land for farm fences or for repairs to farm fences, by James A. Felix, under the direction of W. C. Storrick, in charge of the United States farms. About 7,490 feet of post and rail fence and 1,857 feet of wire fencing have been built.
All of the posts were treated with the creosote-oil preparation as in the preceding years.
Four carpenters are engaged principally in repairing the numerous houses, barns, and outbuildings upon the Government farms.
Charles Kappes was given the contract on his bid to paint the five towers on the battlefield. This has been completed.
The painters employed by the commission have been at work during the year painting avenue fences, bridges, guard rails and shells, iron tablets, and all necessary painting at farm buildings, etc.
CLEANING BRONZE TABLETS.
Two artisans of the commissions force go over the entire battlefield of Gettysburg at least once a year cleaning the polished parts of all bronze tablets in charge of the commission.
The mowing commenced in the spring of 1916, was continued through the summer upon the sides of avenues, around the base of monuments, and on plats of United States land not leased. One man with horse lawn mower, one with side-cut mower, two men with hand lawn mowers, and six with scythes to cut out long grass and weeds, and to cut out the growth along the sides of piked public roads (which are about 10 miles in length) were engaged at this work. The man employed as caretaker and guard on the Cavalry field mows the grass on the sides of the avenues and on the disconnected plats of Government grounds (on which are mounted regimental monuments) between the Cavalry field and the National Park.
CLEARING THE GROVES.
A force of artisans employed by the commission are almost constantly at work during the months on duty, cutting out the dead timber in the forests and groves of the park and clearing out weeds and other superfluous growths. The large cedars suitable for posts are cut and stored. All fallen trees are dismembered and the logs hauled to be sawed into lumber for the use of the carpenters.
Two parties are engaged in sodding, at the proper season of the year, at all the bare places caused by gutter paving, mounding monuments and markers, or where the grass has been burned out or has died from other causes and where necessary grading has been /ne. The sod can usually be taken from United States land and the uncovered ground plowed up, cultivated, and sown with grass seed.
WEST POINT CADETS.
It has been the yearly custom of the Military Academy at West Point to send the graduating class to the Gettysburg battlefield to make a two-days study of the positions and maneuvers on the field. Their first visit was in 1902, and they have missed but two years. The commission has no notice of a visit to be made this year.
UNITED STATES MARINE OFFICERS SCHOOL.
For several years a detail of the officers of the United States Marine School spent a few weeks on the battlefield, sketching and studying the topographical features of the field, etc.
It is probable that neither they, nor the class of cadets from the United States Military Academy will come owning to military preparations for war.
CAMP, UNITED STATES TROOPS, GETTYBURG, PA.
On May 22 the War Department notified the chairman of this commission that recruiting stations for the United States Regular Army would be established as follows: For the Eastern Department, Fifth Increment, Fifty-eight, Fifty-ninth, Sixtieth, and Sixty-first Infantry, in Gettysburg National Park.
Maj. Williams, United States Army, Quartermasters Department, reported at this office on May 26 to consult with the chairman of the Gettysburg National Park Commission relating to suitable camping ground for two regiments of Infantry, viz: The Fourth and Seventh, en route from Texas border. Camp ground was selected on United States, Co/ri farm, for the Fourth Infantry, and land belonging to Calvin Gilbert, of Gettysburg, was selected for the Seventh Infantry. The Fourth Regiment arrived at camp June 2 and the Seventh Regiment June 4. Other camp grounds have been secured by agreements with the tenants, partly on United States land and partly on private property. These grounds to be used for the recruits as they arrive to augment the encampment preparatory to reorganization.
United States land occupied by the encampment at the close of this report as follows:
On the Co/ri farm: South field east side of Emmitsburg Road, William Redding tenant, grass field containing 33 acres.
Fields between Emmitsburg Road and Hancock Avenue, William F. Redding, tenant: grass fields containing 25 acres.
Three-cornered field on the west side of Emmitsburg Road in the angle between that road and Round Top Railroad, grass field containing 16 acres.
On the Bryan farm: William F. Abell, tenant, field east of Emmitsburg Road and between that road and Hancock Avenue; a grass field containing 3 acres.
On the Smith farm: W. S. Shields, tenant, fields east of Emmitsburg Road containing 5 acres. Other United States land may be taken.
Other grounds within the limits of the National Park, but not on United States land, are occupied by a part of the encampment. This land will be shown on a map of the whole territory embraced.
CULTIVATING UNITED STATES LAND UNDER LEASE.
There are 19 farms on the battle field leased to tenants who cultivate their grounds under the direction of William C. Storrick, a practical farmer, who keeps them up to the best methods in order to raise the best crops. The acreage was the same as that of the preceding year.
A change of tenants was made at the following places:
McMillan and Barrett land, Slyder place, Althoff place, and the Weikert property.
LAND NOT UNDER LEASE.
About 25 acres of land consisting of two tracts, one located on East Cemetery Hill and the other on Oak Ridge, and not under lease, have been placed by the chairman under cultivation. This land was prepared for planting, divided into plots, and given to pupils of the Gettysburg schools for cultivation in view of the food shortage which now threatens the country.
These plots were planted in corn, potatoes, and other crops. The pupils are to receive all the crops raised and pay for the preparation of the land from the proceeds.
The work of repairing damaged trees in the National Park which was begun last year was taken up again this year.
This work was carefully /ne and the best known and approved methods were used to preserve them. The cavities were thoroughly cleaned and treated with creosote and then filled with cement.
The edges of the cavities along the line of the cambium were covered with shellac and asphaltum. Weak and split trees were bolted to strengthen them.
The trees selected and treated are near the avenues and were taken on account of their historic value and in order to preserve the original condition of the field.
Bronze statues on the field.
Name. Description. Sculptor.
Hancock F. E. Elwell.
Meade / H. K. Bush-Brown.
Reynolds / /.
Sedgwick / /.
Slocum / C. E. Potter and
Buford Standing figure J. E. Kelly.
John Burns / Albert Bureau.
Greene / R. Hinton Perry.
Reynolds / J. Q. A. Ward.
Warren / Karl Gearhardt.
Webb / J. Massey Rhind.
Lincoln Pennsylvania Memorial / J. Otto Schweizer.
Gregg Pennsylvania memorial / /.
Pleasonton Pennsylvania memorial / /.
Birney Pennsylvania memorial / Lee O. Lowrie.
Meade Pennsylvania memorial / /.
Reynolds Pennsylvania memorial / /.
Curtin Pennsylvania memorial / Clarke Noble.
Hancock Pennsylvania memorial / Cyrus E. Dallin.
Geary, Slocum Avenue / J. Otto Schweizer.
Hays, Hancock Avenue / /.
Humphreys, Emmitsburg Road / /.
Wells / /.
Stannard / Karl Gearhardt.
New York State / Casper Bubert.
Pennsylvania memorial / Samuel Murray.
Wadsworth / R. Hinton Perry.
Vincent / S. J. O. Kelly.
Equestrian statue of Gen. Lee
and bronze group / F. Wm. Sievers.
First Minnesota Infantry / Standing figure
Tenth Pennsylvania Reserve / Standing figure
First Pennsylvania Cavalry / Kneeling figure
Second Pennsylvania Cavalry / Standing figure
Fifty-third Pennsylvania Infantry /Standing figure
One hundred and fortieth Pennsylvania Infantry
Fourth New York Independent Battery / Carl Burbel.
Lincoln / H. K. Bush-Brown.
Robinson / J. Massey Rhind.
Doubleday / /.
Rev. Father Corby / Samuel Murray.
One hundred and fortieth New York (Fourteenth Brooklyn) / Standing figure
One hundred and twenty-fourth New York /
Infantry and Cavalry battle fields (Government owned and private owned)cres- 24,460
Avenues and piked roads miles---- 34.25
Earth roads /----- 24.00
Total miles 58.25
Avenue fencing miles 15.00
Post fencing / 35.16
Total miles 50.16
Bridges: steel, steel and granite, single and /uble arch, a total of 25
Towers (steel) 5
Concrete culverts- 10
Monuments erected by States and organizations 837
Statues; bronze, equestrian 5
Statues; bronze, standing on pedestals- 26
Statues; bronze, standing on monuments 27
Statues; granite, standing on monuments 21
Bronze reliefs and tablets on monuments- 172
Bronze reliefs and tablets not on monuments 755
Iron Tablets 439
Granite Markers 321
Guns on carriages, caissons, limbers 417
LAND ACQUIRED FROM 1893 TO DATE.
Total acreage owned by the Government of the United States 2,428.95
Ceded by Pennsylvania for paved roads 45.00
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1917, from appropriations
Gettysburg National Military Park (no year).
Balance July 1, 1916- $4,937.54
Rents from tenants on United States farms 2,016.00
Certificate of deposit No. 6093- 5.00
Pay roll of artisans and laborers $1,020.50
Pay of Ira N. Ziegler for December, 1916 and May 1917 52.50
Lime for farm (United States land) 222.00
Gun carriage and other repairs 130.31
Maintenance of avenues 2,276.60
Printing, typewriting, stationery, etc 562.26
Millwork, hardware, and maintenance of truck 54.54
Maintenance of stable 121.56
Fencing material and lumber 575.00
Purchase of land 919.00
Treasury settlement 26755, stationery $2.01
Treasury settlement 27290, printing 73.86
Treasury settlement 27495, stationery 15.44
Treasury settlement 28268, printing- 13.65
Balance July 1, 1917 966.81
GETTYSBURG NATIONAL PARK, 1916.
Balance July 1, 1916- $8,090.91
Pay rolls for June, 1915 $2,838.00
Piking and maintaining avenues 3,345.75
Ironwork, hardware, lumber, tools, repairs, etc 282.21
United States farm repairs, stable supplies, fencing, etc 479.52
Stationery, typewriting, office supplies, etc 438.65
Fertilizers, sand, lime, etc 270.26
Paints, oils, transportation, etc- 138.14
Miscellaneous items 129.39
Treasury settlements 64.03
Balance July 1, 1917 4.96
Appropriation, July 1, 1916 $42,500.00
Appropriation, act of Apr. 17, 1917, general deficiency bill (roadway) 927.00
Appropriation, act of May 12, 1917, Army bill (land) 30,000.00
Commissioners, engineers, guards, artisans, and
Purchase of land (obligated) 30,000.00
Piking avenues, 16 to 20 cents per cubic foot, and
Equipment, material, and supplies 575.97
Stenography and typewriting- 490.40
Stationery, printing, and other supplies 193.08
Miscellaneous items- 339.55
Balance, June 30, 1917 1,068.82
Pay rolls, June, 1917 1,037.50
Miscellaneous items 31.32
Unobligated balance, None.
Names of the avenues in the Gettysburg National Military Park.
7. Confederate Cavalry.
8. Confederate, sections
14. East Confederate.
26. North Confederate.
36. United States
41. West Confederate.
42. Wheatfield Road. 43. Williams.
List of regiments of Infantry, Cavalry, and batteries of Artillery from each State in the Battle of Gettysburg. UNION ARMY.
Infantry/ Cavalry/ Artillery
Connecticut 5 0 3
Delaware- 2 0 0
Illinois 1 2 0
Indiana 5 1 0
Maine- 10 1 3
Maryland 3 1 1
Massachusetts 18 1 4
Michigan 7 4 1
Minnesota 1 0 0
New Hampshire 3 0 1
New Jersey 12 1 2
New York 67 7 15
Ohio 13 1 4
Pennsylvania 68 9 5
Rhode Island 1 0 5
Vermont 10 1 0
Wisconsin 6 0 0
West Virginia 1 1/ 1 1
United States Regulars 11 4 23
United States Sharpshooters 2 0 0
Total 246 34 68
1/ And a squadron.
JOHN P. NICHOLSON,