GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK COMMISSION,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1916.
Sir: We submit the annual report for the fiscal year commencing July 1, 1915, and ending June 30, 1916.
The officers and employees are substantially the same as on the roll of year 1915.
Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson, chairman; Maj. Charles A. Richardson, commissioner; engineer, Lieut. Col. E. B. Cope; 2 assistant superintendents, 1 rodman, messenger, and hostler, 4 guards, 27 artisans, 4 laborers, and 5 laborers with teams.
The following have been made during the fiscal year:
For farm materials and supplies, Nos. 193, 194, 195, 196, 201, 210, 214, 215, 216, 217, 224, 225, 226, 232, 234, 236, 245, 251.
For material for other improvements, including road materials, etc., Nos. 198, 199, 218, 220, 221, 228, 229, 231, 246, 252, 253, 254, 260.
For paints, oils, and supplies, Nos. 200, 212, 233, 238, 239, 256, 259.
For gun carriages, pyramids, tablets, cannon stone, Nos. 202, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 248, 249.
For miscellaneous, Nos. 211, 219, 223, 227, 235, 237, 240, 241, 244, 258, 261.
For ditching and draining on United States farms, No. 242.
For supplies for office, Nos. 197, 203, 213, 222, 230, 243, 255.
For tools, Nos. 247, 262.
For drugs, etc., No. 250.
For sundries, bid for flags, No. 257.
MONUMENTS AND TABLETS The Maj. Gen. A. S. Webb Statue
It having been determined by the New York Monuments Commission to erect a statue to Maj. Gen. Alexander S. Webb, the following members of the commission came to Gettysburg June 24, 1915: Col. Lewis R. Stegman, chairman; Gen. Horatio C. King and Col. Clinton Beckwith. They met the Gettysburg National Park Commission and viewed the site near the Angle. They had visited the park some time before, accompanied by Gen. Webb, and he had selected a location, which is shown on the commission's blue print No. 564, and approved by the War Department. The New York commission had plans and specifications made for the foundation. All other arrangements had been made. In August, 1915, Col. Beckwith, engineer of the New York commission, came to Gettysburg to superintend the erection of the statue; on August, 11 the engineer of this commission staked out the foundation lines, the excavation was made, the foundation built, the pedestal erected, and the statue mounted. The dedication exercises were held October 12, attended by a very large assemblage. New York State and City were well represented.
Col. Stegman, chairman, conducted the proceedings; many speakers took part. A granddaughter of Gen. Webb unveiled the statue, and Battery E, Third United States Field Artillery, present for the occasion, fired the salute. The oration was delivered by Maj. Gen. James W. Latta, of Philadelphia. Gov. Whitman; Gen. H. C. King, of New York; Col. Andrew Cowan, of Kentucky, president of the Society of the Army of the Potomac, and Dr. Miller, of the Philadelphia Brigade, were among the speakers.
While the New York commission was at Gettysburg on June 24 they agreed with the National Park Commission upon sites for four markers to mark the positions of the Seventieth, Seventy-first, Seventy-second, and Seventy-fourth New York Regiments of Infantry of the Excelsior Brigade. These had been delivered 25 years before to the Gettysburg Memorial Association, but were never located. They are now along the west boundary line of the Excelsior Field and were erected under contract with C. W. Ziegler & Co. in July, 1915.
THE PENNSYLVANIA MEMORIAL
As reported in 1915, additional work was needed on this monument. Much has been done this year for its preservation by guarding against the action of water and freezing weather. This has been done at the expense of the State of Pennsylvania, Gen. Henry S. Huidekoper, chairman of the commission, and under the supervision of the Gettysburg National Park Commission.
THE VIRGINIA MEMORIAL
The pedestal was erected in 1912 for the statute and other bronze work. We have no information in regard to the completion of this Memorial.
THE GEN. J. L. CHAMBERLAIN STATUE
A commission was appointed by the governor of Maine to take the necessary steps looking to the erection of a bronze statue to Bvt. Maj. Gen. Joshua L. Chamberlain on Little Round Top. A committee visited the battlefield, viewed certain locations suggested, but no information in the matter has been received.
THE GEN O. O. HOWARD STATUE
A committee was appointed five years ago to select a site for an equestrian statue to Gen. O. O. Howard--Maj. Gen. Chamberlain, chairman; Brig. Gen. Tilden, and Maj. S. C. Gordon. The report of 1911 states that the committee visited the field June 9, viewing various locations, to make a report to the governor on the subject upon their return to Maine. Nothing has been received of any future action.
The activity in respect to avenues has been mainly maintenance. Efforts have been made to have a good system of piked avenues constructed on the East Cavalry Battlefield. All the preliminary engineering was done for the purpose, and the commission prepared to begin the construction as soon as authorized by the War Department. Culverts were built in 1915 and the subgrade and grade lines staked. Specifications and blue prints were furnished to contractors, and bids were received for building 2 miles of avenue. The bids were all high and were canceled. In the autumn of 1915 modified bids upon reduced specifications were asked for. A very low bid was made by M. & T. E. Farrell, who have built many avenues on the field. Their bid was reported and authority received on April 27, 1916, to make a contract for the work, which was begun on June 5, 1916.
About 2,000 tons of screenings have been contracted for, which have been delivered in Gettysburg, hauled and spread upon the surface of the avenues and the connecting public roads which have been ceded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the United States, and graded and piked by the commission. These screenings were furnished, delivered, hauled, and spread by Samuel Robinson at a cost of $2.08 per ton.
GUTTER PAVING AND REPAIRS
The gutter paving which was begun last year on Hunt Avenue was continued and completed during the summer and autumn of 1915. In the early spring, as soon as the frost is well out of the ground, workmen go over all the gutter paving, ramming down the line and side stones, before going to work at new paving. The winter of 1915-16 was an open one, with short intervals of frost in the ground, consequently the paving has suffered very little. About 1,500 feet of gutter on Williams Avenue had been paved when work on the field stopped in December, 1915; also 300 feet of paving on Slocum Avenue. After the winter had passed and work was resumed in the spring the payers went to work on Meade Avenue, where they have completed 300 feet, and also about 2,000 feet on the sides of other avenues on the field where such work had been previously reported to be needed, continuing their work until the close of this report, June 30, 1916.
The total number of mounted guns on the battlefield enumerated in the last report was 404. The following mounted guns have been added to batteries having two guns each:
Two 3-inch rifles to Cushing's Battery A, Fourth United States Artillery.
Two 3-inch rifles to Arnold's battery, Rhode Island Artillery.
Two Napoleons to Randol's Batteries E and G, First United States Artillery.
A total of 410 guns on the field.
Two additional limbers were furnished by Maj. Calvin Gilbert and mounted with those of Cushing's United States Battery.
An additional caisson was furnished and mounted for Cushing's battery.
BRIDGES AND CULVERTS
A new floor was put in the Reynolds Avenue Bridge, crossing the Western Maryland Railroad, and completed April, 1915. Other repairs to bridges were as follows: All the stone bridges and abutments were pointed, and a new culvert built on section 7, on the road to Sharpshooters Monuments, in the Pitzer Woods.
The painters have been employed principally upon renewing the coating on gun carriages, iron tablets, avenue pipe fencing, railing along avenues and on bridges, and on United States farm buildings.
CLEANING BRONZE TABLETS
The lettering on bronze tablets erected by the commission to the armies, corps, divisions, and brigades have been repolished on the battlefield and on the United States Regulars Army Monument.
The season was backward in May, and the mowing parties went to work about the 10th of the month. There was one party with a horse lawn mower and one party with one-horse side-bar mower, assisted by mowers with scythes and hand lawn mowers for work on the banks and around monuments and markers. This work is continued until the grass stops growing in the autumn.
MAPS AND PRINTS The second edition of the lithographic map of the Gettysburg National Park, printed in 1913, having been entirely exhausted, corrections and additions were made to show additional work on the battlefield, and a third edition of 500 copies, 1916, has been ordered.
A number of new tracings have been made from which many copies in blue print have been printed for use in continuing the work on the field and for distribution, together with many copies from previously drawn tracings, as they are called for, for various purposes. Such have been furnished in many cases in large numbers by the commission.
BOOK OF LOCATION OF MONUMENTS, ETC.
The fourth edition of this was placed in the hands of the printer February, 1916. The subject matter had been carefully prepared from the last edition, with additions and corrections. Five hundred copies were ordered and received May 1, 1916, and are now being distributed upon request.
A perspective drawing had been made of the Gettysburg National Park in colors, 16 by 20 inches dimensions. A contract has been awarded for 1,000 copies, which will be ready for distribution in July, 1916.
UNITED STATES MARINES
On July 17, 1916, a detachment of officers of the United States Marine Corps, Capt. H. S. Snyder commanding, came to Gettysburg and took quarters in the old Pennsylvania College Building. They were ordered here for the purpose of observation, and for studying, sketching, and mapping the topographical features of the battlefield.
WEST POINT CADETS
The graduating classes of the United States Military Academy, West Point, began to make their visits to the Gettysburg Battlefield in 1902, by order of the War Department, under the command of Col. G. J. Fiebeger, United States Army, instructor in engineering. The class of 1916 reached Gettysburg this year on May 1, returning to West Point on May 3; there were 7 officers and 125 cadets.
FARMS AND BUILDINGS
No new buildings of this character have been erected during the year. Repairs have been made to existing structures for their preservation.
Eighteen properties were under lease during the year. Ninety-five acres of land acquired by the commission were added to the acreage of the previous year, making the total acreage for the year 1,399.62.
Two changes of tenants were made during the year, one at the Masonheimer property and the other at the Bushman farm.
Three small new buildings were built during the year at each of the following places: The Masonheimer property, the Hummelbaugh property, and the Bryan House.
The tenants are required to whitewash the buildings and fencing where needed with whitewash made according to the United States Government formula.
EXAMINATION FOR BATTLEFIELD GUIDES
In compliance with an order of the War Department the contemplated examination of the qualification of persons who for years have been acting as battlefield guides was taken up by the commission.
On August 1, 1915, notices were published that applications would be received from persons wishing to be examined as guides. Ninety-five persons applied, almost all of whom had experience on the field. They were given written examinations in classes of 10 to 15, the time extending to October 5, 1915. Ninety-one passed the examination and were given licenses.
There were three classes: Thirty-seven first class; thirty-eight second class; sixteen third class.
Four failed. None were licensed under 18 years of age.
Owing to the low percentage made by those of the second and third classes, the commission notified them that instructions in the duties of guides would be given them during the months of January and February, 1916. About 90 per cent of all that were notified reported and took the lessons, which were given in the commission rooms in classes of 10 to 20. They were advised to continue their studies and use whatever source from which they could obtain additional information relating to the duties of guides, and in April 1916, all that wished to take a second examination with a view of getting a higher class license could do so.
On March 20, Col. Nicholson, chairman of the commission, received a letter from the Acting Secretary of War, Maj. Gen. Hugh L. Scott, in regard to the large tracts of land on this field belonging to the United States, and if any suitable places would be available for camping and maneuvering purposes for several squadrons of Cavalry, in case such grounds were required during the summer of 1916. On March 24, the engineer, Col. Cope, made a report, by direction of the chairman, on the subject, and sent blue prints showing tracts of United States land formerly used for such purposes. The commission were notified by the Secretary of War that application for the land would not be made, consequent upon the abandonment of the contemplated encampment.
THE UNITED STATES ARMY WAR COLLEGE
The anticipated visit of the officers of the Army War College that was to have been made in June, 1915, to Gettysburg National Park had to be postponed, as was noted in the last annual report. The visit would probably have been made during the summer of 1916, but the chairman, Col. Nicholson, was notified that the visit would again be postponed on account of the trouble on the Mexican border.
In clearing up the groves and the woodland of the park, many dead trees have been cut down and many fallen trees have been removed. There were 200 logs cut from these this year, of an average diameter of 17 inches, and 14 feet long. A contract was made with L. U. Collins, and with his portable sawmill he has reduced these to suitable sized lumber for the use of the carpenters in constructing and repairing United States farm buildings, etc. The cost for his services, with his mill and hands, was six-tenths of 1 per cent per foot.
Total amount of lumber sawed and piled at the storage building, 18,860 feet.
Two hundred trees were bought from W. W. Boyer & Bro., nurserymen, Arendtsville, Pa., and apportioned to the following places: Codori farm, Smith property, Wentz property, Weikert farm, Hummelbaugh property, Althoff property, Meade's headquarters, and the Culp farm. These trees replaced those destroyed.
A contract was made with Daniel C. Shealer to straighten the channel of the drain on the Culp farm, beginning at the first bridge on East Confederate Avenue, and extending to the spring, a distance of 645 feet. The drain was dug 5 feet wide at the top, 4 feet wide at the bottom, and 2 feet deep. The channel now carries off all the water and prevents any overflow on the adjoining land.
A contract for 180 tons of lime was made with W. Oyler & Bro., lime burners, Gettysburg, Pa.
This lime was hauled by the tenants and used on the Culp, Codori, Trostle, Smith, and Weikert farms and the McMillan land. An additional contract for 180 tons has been made for the coming year.
The liming already has made a marked difference in the soil conditions and the production of better crops.
Since July 1, 1915, 5,050 feet of new post and rail fence was built. The material was furnished by the contractor, E. J. Naugle, Orrtanna, Pa. Four thousand feet additional will be built during the coming year. One thousand eight hundred feet of new wire fence will also be erected. Much of the old fence was repaired during the year.
All of the posts were treated with the creosote-oil preparation, as in the preceding year.
On March 31 the Engineers Club of Pennsylvania College were at the offices of the commission.
The party consisted of 1 instructor in engineering and 35 students. They were shown the relief maps and their construction explained, other maps, mechanical drawings, blue printing and the process, and other work of the engineers of the commission. A short talk was given; also one by their instructor on triangulation in field surveys.
On May 29, 23 officers of the Field Officers Class Service School of the National Guard of New York called at the offices of the commission to be shown the work of the commission as contained in their maps and numerous drawings.
These officers remained in Gettysburg several days and made a very thorough study of the positions and movements of the troops in the battle.
On June 12 the New York Monuments Commission came to Gettysburg to locate positions for the statues of Gens. Robinson and Doubleday. The members were Col. Stegman, chairman; Gen. King, and Col. Beckwith, in company with the National Park Commission. The ground was selected as follows: Site for Gen. Robinson's statue, at south of the west end of Robinson Avenue in center of loop. The site for Gen. Doubleday's statue, in the center of the space between the fence and roadway on the east side of Reynolds Avenue, near right-flank marker of the One hundred and forty-second Pennsylvania.
John P. Nicholson,
The Secretary of War.
Estimated expenditures of Gettysburg National Park Commission for the fiscal
year ending June, 30, 1918.
Salaries and wages:
Commissioners $7, 200. 00
Engineer - 2, 100. 00
Assistant superintendent 960. 00
Assistant superintendent 600.00
Four guards 2,400.00
Messenger 600. 00
Pay of artisans, laborers, and teams 17, 250. 00
Piking avenues 4,800.00
Repairs to roads, buildings and machinery 2,700.00
Traffic motor car and maintenance of motors ,200.00
Equipment and materials for motor truck, etc 550.00
Stationery, books, and printing 150.00
Typewriting and stenography 500.00
Miscellaneous Items 250.00
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ended July 30, 1916.
[From appropriation "Gettysburg National Military Park"]
Balance July 1, 1915 $2, 267. 63
Rents from tenants oil United States Iand, etc 3,760.05
Total -6,027. 68
Lime for farms $432.00
Grass seed 40.73
Gun carriages and repairs 167.71
Printing pamphlet, monuments and markers 170.00
Barrel sprayer and fixtures 22.50
Herbicide (weed killer) 150.00
Trees for planting in the park 7.20
Balance June 30, 1916 4, 937. 54
(Appropriation, " Gettysburg National Military Park, 1915.)
Balance June 30, 1916 3.94
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1916.
Appropriation July 1, 1916 $45,000. 00
Salaries and wages:
Commissioners, engineers, guards, artisans, and
Piking Avenues $3,434.53
Repairs to roads, buildings and machinery 2,202.87
Equipment and material for motor truck $401.99
Stationery, books, and printing 481.06
Typewriting and stenography 303.38
$1, 577. 82
Balance June 30, 1916 8,090.91
Pay rolls, June, 1915, appropriation 2,775.50
United States farm buildings 20.15
Piking an avenue, cavalry field 2,920.00
Tablets and markers 30.45
Millwork and hardware 41.07
Paints and oils 118.92
Ironwork and machinery 50.04
Motor truck repairs and supplies 146.62
Maintenance of stable 134.87
Books, maps, and other office supplies 918.70
Post-offlce box rent 1.00
Miscellaneous items 19.17
Unobligated balance July 1. 1916, none.
Statement of the condition of the Gettysburg National Military Park at close of
Fiscal year ending June 30, 1916.
Infantry battle field land, 24 square miles (Government owned and private owned) acres
Cavalry fields, 14.21 square miles (Government owned and private owned)
Total acres 24,460
Avenues and piked roads miles 34.06
Earth roads do 24.00
Total do 58.06
Avenue fencing miles 15.00
Post fencing do 34.08
Total do 49.08
Steel and granite 5
Double arch 1
Single arch 17
Concrete culverts 9
Erected by States 454
Erected by organizations 383
Standing figures on pedestals 24
Standing figures on monuments 27
Granite statues on monuments 21
Bronze reliefs and tablets on monuments 172
Bronze reliefs and tablets not on monuments 755
Iron tablets 436
Markers, Granite 321
Gun Carriages with mounted guns 410
Land acquired from 1893 to date.
1897 16. 3504
Total acreage owned by United States Government 2,428.95
Ceded by Pennsylvania for paved roads 45.00
Total acreage acquired from memorial-association 521.77
Total acreage acquired from Quartermaster Department 30.72
Total acreage acquired by Gettysburg National Park Commission 1,921.46
* Note: There is no information for 1911 in the original document.