GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK COMMISSION,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1915.
SIR: We submit the annual report for the fiscal year commencing July 1, 1914, and ending June 30, 1915.
The officers and employees are substantially the same as on the roll of year 1914.
Lieut. Col. John P. Nicholson, chairman; Maj. Charles A. Richardson, commissioner; engineer, Lieut. Col. E. B. Cope; 2 assistant superintendents, 1 rodman, messenger and hostler, 4 guards, 27 artisans, 4 laborers, and 5 laborers with teams. The artisans have improved in their work. The material and appliances used by them being furnished by the commission, is of the best quality and there is no incentive to slight details as often done in contracts. It is necessary to make contract for certain machinery and appliances which can not be supplied by the commission, such as avenue, road piking, and farm machinery which must be furnished by equipped manufactories, gun carriages, fencing and building material for the Government farms, etc.
The contracts have been reported up to Contract No. 142.
The following have been made during the fiscal year:
No. 142. Painting flagpole, Meades headquarters.
Nos. 143, 149, 150, 152, 166, and 186. Gun carriages, cannon stone, tablets.
Nos. 144, 157, and 176. Two thousand tons limestone screenings.
Nos. 145, 146, 151, 162, 171, 178, 179, 188, 191, and 192. Fence material, lime, trees, pumps, fertilizers, and grass seed.
Nos. 147 and 177. One horse mower and other farm tools.
Nos. 148, 163, and 189. Iron troughs.
Nos. 153, 155, 158, 159, 160, 161, 164, 165, 170, 173, 174, 180, 184, and 190. For lumber and building materials, hardware, etc.
Nos. 156 and 183. For creosote.
No. 167. For draintile.
No. 168. For pantograph.
No. 154, 169, 172, and 182. Supplies for motor truck.
No. 175. For cement.
No. 181. For bronze railing and stanchions for map.
No. 185. For repairing horse lawn mower.
No. 187. For box for flags.
MONUMENTS, TABLETS, ETC.
Three bronze statues were erected by the Pennsylvania Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Commission, under the supervision of the National Park Commission, the money having been appropriated by the Legislature of Pennsylvania in 1913. The contractor was the Van Amringe Monumental Granite Co., of Boston; the sculptor, J. Otto Schwiezer. These statues are of heroic size, mounted on granite pedestals 8 feet high. They are of artistic design and faithful representations of three of the Pennsylvania generals commanding divisions in the battle. They are each placed near the position of his command. The Gen. Geary Statue on Slocum Avenue, at the east end of Williams Avenue, south slope of Culps Hill. The Gen. Hays Statue on Hancock Avenue, in Ziegler Grove. The Gen. Humphreys Statue on the Emmitsburg Road at the north end of Sickles Avenue.
An additional inscription was placed on the base of the One hundred and fortysixth New York Infantry and on the Seventh Indiana Infantry Monuments. Bronze plates were put on the base of the Fortysixth Pennsylvania Infantry Monument and on the rear of the Ninth Massachusetts Battery Monument.
MARKERS FOR THE CORPS HOSPITALS.
The authority given by the Secretary of War to erect markers of granite and bronze, with appropriate inscriptions, at or near sites of corps hospitals was promptly acted upon by the commission. Contracts were made with the Van Amringe Monumental Granite Co. for the granite pedestals and with the firm of Albert Russell & Sons Co., the lowest bidders, for the bronze tablets. These markers have been delivered and erected at the sites selected and upon foundations built by contract. The locations were given in the report of 1914.
THE PENNSYLVANIA MEMORIAL.
Additional work will be required on this memorial before completion. The guards of the commission give it the necessary attention.
THE VIRGINIA MEMORIAL.
No further progress has been made toward completing this memorial to the Virginia troops, as far as the commission has been advised. The pedestal was finished about three years ago.
BVT. MAJ. GEN. WADSWORTH STATUE.
We reported progress on this statue in the report of 1914. During the autumn of 1914 the statue was erected, and on October 6, 1914, it was dedicated. Troops consisting of Companies L and M, Fifth United States Cavalry, commanded by Capt. W. W. Forsyth, United States Army, reported for escort duty on the occasion. Col. L. R. Stegman, chairman New York Monuments Commission, presided and many distinguished soldiers and citizens from New York attended the ceremonies.
RESTORING THE DAMAGED MONUMENTS.
The contract made with the Van Amringe Monumental Granite Co. to supply and erect new parts to the seven monuments damaged by vandals has been completed and the work inspected and accepted by the commission.
Also the contract with L. M. Meals, of Gettysburg, to repair two of the monuments, not greatly mutilated, has been completed and accepted.
The work was reproduced by the Van Amringe Co. in an artistic manner. The estimated cost of the reproduction of the figures and repairs to the monuments was $7,032 upon the work previous to the contracts.
The Van Amringe contract was for $6,621 and that of L. M. Meals for $97.50, which enabled the commission to return to the United States Treasury $275.85.
THE RELIEF MAPS OF THE BATTLE FIELD.
The relief map, 9 feet 3 inches by 12 feet 8 inches, of the battle field continues to attract hundreds of visitors, and innumerable requests are received for photographic copies, but the commission has not been able, consequent upon the great expense, to comply with the demands.
In January, 1915, Lieut. Col. E. B. Cope, engineer of the commission, was authorized to prepare drawings from previous surveys and to enlarge them into three sections, with contours and all other details, making one large topographical map, and with this as a basis to construct a relief map of the cavalry battle field of Gettysburg, this map to connect with that constructed several years ago showing the infantry battle field of July 1, 2, and 3, 1863. This work has been successfully accomplished in the mechanical parts, the coloring remaining to be done.
It is an accurate representation of the field, with streams, roads, buildings, timber, etc. The horizontal scale is 200 feet to the inch and the vertical scale 72 feet to the inch. It contains about 7,000 acres. Dimensions are about 8 by 11 feet. The material is pine boards, onesixth inch thick, cut to the shapes of the contours and built up, glued and pinned together, layer upon layer. Each thickness representing 12 feet elevation. The surface is then dressed down from one contour line to the next, giving the proper slope, until every hill, ridge, depression, and plain is shown, and the map a perfect miniature of the ground it represents.
BVT. MAJ. GEN. A. S. WEBB STATUE.
The New York Monuments Commission has prepared plans and specifications for a statue to be erected on the east side of Hancock Avenue opposite the angle and to be dedicated as a memorial to Bvt. Maj. Gen. Alexander S. Webb, United States Army. The site for this statue was selected in the presence of Gen. Webb and other members of the New York Monuments Commission and the Gettysburg National Park Commission. The location, design, and inscriptions have been approved by the Secretary of War.
The grading and piking of an avenue in two sections, the first section along the south foot of Culps Hill and the second section on what is known as Brick Yard Lane, has been completed, inspected, and accepted. The first section has been named Williams Avenue by authority of the Secretary of War and in recognition of Bvt. Maj. Gen. A. S. Williams, commanding Twelfth Corps. The second section has not yet been named.
In 1911 a short avenue was built in rear of the Pennsylvania memorial. It has been named Humphreys Avenue by authority of the Secretary of War and in recognition of Maj. Gen. A. A. Humphreys, Third Corps.
Plans and specifications have been prepared and bids advertised and sent to contractors for grading and piking two sections of an avenue on the east cavalry field, bids to be received here on or before June 1, 1915.
Contracts for screenings have been made with Samuel Robinson to furnish, deliver, and spread 1,000 tons of limestone screenings. About 200 tons were delivered to May 1. During the fiscal year 2,712 tons have been furnished, delivered, and spread on the avenues of the Gettysburg National Park, prior to the last 1,000 tons contracted for.
Two parties of the commissions artisans have been engaged during the summer and autumn of 1914 and the spring of 1915 paving gutters along the piked avenues of the battle field, part of the force being engaged in the quarry taking out and dressing the blocks.
One of the important works was the paving on Hunt Avenue. Owing to the sandy nature of the soil and sides of that avenue wash badly and the workmen will have to pave the whole length of the avenue on both sides before the work will be completed and satisfactory.
Eight iron gun carriages, mounted with cannon, have been placed on the battle field during the year; six near the north end of West Confederate Avenue.
Watsons Battery, Confederate States Army, two 10pounder Parrotts on right.
Johnsons Battery, Confederate States Army, two 12pounders in center.
Rices Battery, Confederate States Army, two 12pounders on left.
On the hill in the Bushman Woods, south of section 7, Confederate Avenue, southwest from Round Top, an additional 3inch rifle gun has been added to Battery E, Fourth United States Artillery (Elder), and along the Taneytown Road, on the former Young Farm, at the position of Battery D, Second United States Artillery (Williston), one additional 12pounder has been added.
These guns and gun carriages require attention. They need painting about once a year. If this is properly attended to they will last indefinitely. All the batteries of both the armies are represented in the park and the cavalry field by mounted cannon.
Bids have been asked for and contracts made to furnish fence material that would be required during the fiscal year. A contract with E. J. Naugle to furnish and deliver 1,000 panels and to complete the delivery in October 1914, and also a contract for 500 additional panels with 100 extra posts to be delivered during 1915.
TOWERS AND BRIDGES.
The commission has had repaired and strengthened the roofs of four of the observation towers. The guards on the field keep these towers in good condition.
The five concrete culverts on the east cavalry battlefield have been completed. They were built by our employees (concrete builders) and will be crossed by the piked avenue when it is built on that field. These are all arched. The largest is reinforced over the arch with steel bars, and each side of the culvert provided with an iron railing.
The steel bridge with oak floor that was built in 1905, on Reynolds avenue over the Western Maryland Railroad, had a new floor of seasoned oak plank put on it in April by the carpenters of the commission. This plank was in stock for seasoning five years. After the flooring was put on it was given a coat of creosote over the surface, which also filled the joints and crevices.
Four painters are employed by the commission and constantly at work, either at the gun carriages, tablets, farm buildings, fences, railings, and bridges, or similar work.
Two workmen of the force are employed cleaning the lettering of bronze tablets over the field, and there are 260 of them of an average surface of 15 square feet.
MOWING AND CARE OF THE GROVES.
The mowers began their work as soon as the grass was high enough to make it necessary along the avenue sides and grass plats. They continue their work until the fall.
The timberland on the battle field is about 500 acres in extent, and a force of three trimmers and axemen are employed to keep the large trees and younger growth in good condition. By constant and careful attention a very great improvement in the appearance of the field has been made.
The title to 95 acres of land, formerly property of the springs and hotel company, has after some delay passed to the United States. The location of this land is given in the report of 1914. The tract lying between Reynolds Avenue and Willoughby Run, containing 55.38 acres, and the tract north of Chambersburg Pike, containing 39.62 acres, has been leased for farm purposes.
MAPS AND PRINTS.
There have been no lithographic maps printed during the year, but a large number of copies have been given out and a quantity of blue prints been made and distributed. A list of the tracing to make them, made during the year, is contained in the record of blue prints accompanying this report. (Note: Omitted in printing.)
BOOK OF LOCATION OF MONUMENTS, ETC.
The list of corps, division, brigade, and battery tablets are contained in a pamphlet issued by the commission in 1914, giving locations, commanders, etc. The nine hospital markers erected are not mentioned nor included in this publication. As the edition is exhausted, the commission is revising to June 1, 1915, to print. Requests have been made for a published list of the Army, corps, division, brigade, hospital, itinerary, and battery tablets, with the inscription on them, for they contain the history of the battle. No such publication has been printed, and can not be furnished at present consequent upon the great expense.
WEST POINT CADETS.
The graduating class of the United States Military Academy, 9 officers and 162 cadets, in command of Col. G. J. Fiebeger, United States Army, arrived at Gettysburg May 3, made a study of the battle field, and left at 7 p.m. May 4.
NUMBER OF FARMS.
Eighteen properties were under lease during the year. A change of tenants was made on April 1, 1915, at the Wentz House, Althoff and Masonheimer properties, and Meades Headquarters. The other tenants of the preceding year were retained.
Two changes were made in the condition of the leases, the first limiting the number of farm animals to be kept and the second fixing the time for pasturage.
A list of needed repairs was made at the beginning of the year for the general upkeep of the buildings and fencing, and, after approval by the commission, were directed to be made.
No new buildings were erected during the year. A cistern was put in at the Weikert farm and one at the Codori farm. A concrete walk was laid on the south and east sides of the house on the Codori farm, on the east side of the Bryan house, and on the north side of the Trostle house. Concrete steps were put on the west and north sides of the house on Warren Avenue.
This work was done by the concrete workers employed by the commission. Some minor repairs were made to roofs and weather boarding of buildings.
LIGHTINING RODS ON THE GOVERNMENT PROPERTY.
In order to protect the buildings from damage by lightning, a contract was made with W. J. Swope, Gettysburg, Pa., to furnish and erect lightning rods on all the farm buildings. This contract was completed July 25, 1914.
In order to preserve the original condition around the buildings on the United States properties, a contract was made with W. W. Boyer & Bros., of Arendtsville, Pa., to furnish 225 trees. These were planted in places where trees had died from the ravages of insect pests or decay on account of age. Others that are still vigorous have been pruned in order to preserve them, and the method will be continued. Preparatory to planting all of the holes were blasted by using dynamite, and the trees are generally in a thrifty condition.
The trees were apportioned and planted on the following properties: Codori farm, Smith farm, Wentz house, Bushman farm, Trostle farm, Weikert farm, Masonheimer property, Athoff place, Hummelbaugh property, Biggs farm, Meades headquarters, and the Culp farm.
For the improvement of soil conditions, a contract was made with W. Oyler & Bro., lime burners, Gettysburg, Pa., to furnish 4,000 bushels of lime to be apportioned and used on the farm lands.
An additional contract for 4,500 bushels was made. All of this lime was hauled by the tenants and used as directed.
It is hoped that this plan may be continued until all of the cultivated land is supplied.
A total of 894 panels of new post and rail fence was put up during the year from material furnished by the contractor, E. J. Naugle, of Orrtanna, Pa. Much of the old fence was repaired and wire fence put up where needed.
A contract was made with Charles Rudisell, lumberman, Gettysburg, Pa., to furnish and deliver 2,000 chestnut palings. These have been delivered and will be used as seasoned.
All of the fence posts are now treated with creosote oil to prevent decay.
The attention of all the tenants was called to a general destruction of noxious weeds, special notice being directed to the elimination of the wild mustard and Canada thistle. Considerable progress was made along this line, but it will require some time to get these pests under control. Some wet land was drained on the Codori farm and on the Culp farm. Tile was used for this purpose and was furnished by the commission. The labor of digging and filling drains was done by the tenants.
Attention was called to the whitewashing of buildings and fencing where necessary. As a rule the tenants have shown a proper disposition to keep the properties in good order. Those who fail to meet these requirements will not be retained.
The following is a complete list of the guns on the field.
Culps Hill, two 12pounders, three 10pound Parrotts 5
Stevens Knoll, six 12pounders 6
Baltimore Pike, two 12pounders, four 20pound Parrotts 6
East Cemetery Hill, two 12pounders, eighteen 3inch rifles 20
Evergreen Cemetery, two 20pound Parrotts 2
National Cemetery, six 12pounders, two 10pound, Parrotts, eight
3inch rifles 16
Hancock Avenue, twentytwo 12pounders, two Jamess, twenty 3inch
rifles, ten 10pound Parrotts 54
Trostle Field, two 3inch rifles 2
Meade Avenue, two 12pounders 2
Pleasanton Avenue, two 3inch rifles 2
United States Avenue, two 12pounders 2
Peach Orchard, two 12pounders, four 3inch rifles 6
Excelsier Field, two 12poundrs, two 10pound Parrotts 4
Wheatfield Road, two 12pounders, four 3inch rifles 6
Emmitsburg Road, ten 12pounders 10
Hunt Avenue, four 12pounders 4
Taneytown Road, two 12pounders, four 3inch rifles, two 10pound
Seminary Avenue, two 12pounders 2
East Cavalry Field, four 12pounders, two 3inch rifles 6
Carlisle Street, two 12pounders 2
Howard Avenue, eight 12pounders, four 3inch rifles 12
Field west of Lees Headquarters, two 12pounders 2
Chambersburg Pike, four 3inch rifles mounted, four unmounted 8
Reynolds Avenue, six 3inch rifles 6
Sedgwick Avenue, two 3inch rifles 2
Sykes Avenue, Little Round Top, four 10pound Parrotts, two 12pounders 6
Wright Avenue, two 12pounders 2
Howe Avenue, two 3inch rifles 2
Elders Battery, two 3inch rifles 2
South Cavalry Field, two 3inch rifles 2
Sickles Avenue, Devils Den, four 10pound Parrotts 4
Wheatfield, two 12pounders 2
Althoff Field, two 12pounders 2
Crawford Avenue, two 10pound Parrotts 2
Granite Lane, two 3inch rifles 2
Powers, two 3inch rifles, four 10pound Parrotts 6
Seminary Avenue, two 3inch rifles 2
West Confederate Avenue, twentyone 3inch rifles, thirtynine 12pounders eighteen 10pound Parrotts, four 20pound Parrotts, fourteen 12 pound howitzers, two Whitworth guns, two 24pound howitzers 100
Section 6, two 3inch rifles 2
Section 5, seven 12pounders, one 12pound howitzer 8
Section 4, six 3inch rifles, six 12pounders, two 10pound Parrotts, two
12pound howitzers, two 20pound Parrotts 18
East Cavalry Field, two 12pound howitzers, four 3inch rifles, two 12
pounders, two 10pound Parrotts 10
Benners Hill, three 3inch rifles, eight 12pounders, three 10pound
Parrotts, two 20pound Parrotts 16
Joness Battalion, four 3inch rifles, two 12 pounders, two 10pound Parrotts 8
North Confederate Avenue, four 12pounders, two 3inch rifles, two 10
pound Parrotts, two Whitworths 10
Western Maryland Rail Road Cut, two 12pounders 2
Union guns 228
Confederate guns 176
The contemplated visit of the officers of the Army War College to Gettysburg in June had to be postponed on account of unforeseen circumstances, so that the camp site set apart for them was not used.
ARTILLERY ON THE MARCH.
Batteries D, E, And F, Third United States Field Artillery, commanded by Lieut. Col. Menoher, United States Army, passed through Gettysburg 10 a.m., May 17, marching from Fort Myer to Tobyhanna, Monroe County, Pa., for target practice.
JOHN P. NICHOLSON, Chairman.
THE SECREARY OF WAR.
Estimated expenditures of Gettysburg National Military Park Commission for
the fiscal year June 30, 1917.
Assistant superintendent 960.00
Assistant superintendent 660.00
Four guards 2,400.00
Pay of artisans, laborers, and teams 17,000.00
Material to repair farm buildings 100.00
For piking an avenue 6,000.00
For repairing avenues 1,500.00
For fencing materials 400.00
Millwork and hardware 300.00
Herbicide (weed killer) 130.00
Paints and oils 200.00
Repairs to machinery 100.00
Motortruck supplies 250.00
Maintenance of stable 100.00
Books, print, paper, and stationery, etc 150.00
Tools and repairing tools 300.00
Cement, sand, and lime 200.00
Postoffice box rent 4.00
Incidental expenses 116.00
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1915.
(From "Appropriation Gettysburg National Military Park (no year)".
Balance July 1, 1914 $73.93
Rents from tenants on United States land 2,439.02
Sept. 2 Adams Express Co. $3.41
Sept. 3 Freightage 2.69
Jan. 18 Post fencing 2.50
Jan. 22 Drain tile, etc 27.41
June 22 Wall paper 21.12
June 25 Whitewashing 4.00
June 17 Treasury settlement No. 23694,
Public Printer for printing $184.19
("Appropriation: Gettysburg National Military Park, 1914.")
Balance July 1, 1915 1,117.94
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1915.
Appropriation July 1, 1914 $50,000.00
Engineers, guards, etc. 7,930.08
Artisans and laborers 16,051.99
Piking, avenues, etc 2,438.68
Monuments, markers, etc 814.49
Buildings on United States farms 740.80
Gun carriages, etc 421.42
Fencing and erecting 457.95
Lumber, etc., for farm buildings 485.68
Tools and repairs to tools 495.73
Typewriting, book binding, etc 450.25
Repairs to motor truck 217.82
Seeds and fertilizers for United States farms 1, 053.30
Paints, oils, drugs, etc 335.76
Stable supplies such as forage and coal 154.52
Other stable expenses 24.90
Blacksmithing for stable 23.85
Sand, lime, and cement 202.32
Print, paper, stationery, etc 36.84
Freight, expressage, telegraph 29.40
Treasury settlement 21855,
Treasury settlement 22433,
Treasury settlement 22477,
July 1, 1915, balance brought over 6,357.82
Pay rolls, June, 1915 $2,847.99
Maintenance of avenues 2,721.68
Lime for United States Land 675.00
Water rent, etc 13.15
Unobligated balance July 1, 1915, none.
Statement of the condition of the Gettysburg National Military Park at close of
fiscal year ending June, 30, 1915.
Total land reported June 30, 1914acres 2,355.01
Additional land acquireddo 95.02
Avenues piked and completed to June 30, 1914miles 31.31
Additional piked during the yeardo .40
Monuments on the field to June 30, 1914 833
Additional, 4 bronze statues to 1915 4
Additional markers to June 30, 1915 9
Additional tablets to June 30, 1915 11
Concrete culverts erected during the year 5
Fencing erected to June 30,1914miles 46.5
Additional fencing to June 30, 1915do 2
Total fencingdo 48.5
Gun carriages on field June 30, 1914 404
Additional carriages to June 30, 1915 4
Iron tablets on field June 30, 1914 415
Additional tablets erected to June 30, 1915 12
Total iron tablets 427
Statement of the condition of the Gettysburg National Military Park at close of fiscal year ending June 30,1915.
Within the limits of the Gettysburg National Military Park,
embracing the operations of the Army of the Potomac and
the Army of Northern Virginia on the first, second, and
third days battleacres 15,860.00
On East Cavalry battlefielddo 6,400.00
On the South Cavalry battlefielddo 2,200.00
Number of acres of land acquired by purchase, etc. for
the United States by the Gettysburg National Military
Park Commission to mark the positions of troops and
batteries, for avenues, and to preserve the features of
the battlefieldacres 2,450.03
Avenues and roads:
Telford avenuesmiles 22.00
Macadam roadsdo 9.71
Total piked by the commissiondo 31.71
Good earth roads in the parkdo 24.00
Total roads within the parkdo 55.82
Erected by States and military organizations 403
Markers by States and military organizations 99
Monuments erected by the United States under the
direction of the park commission 50
Markers erected under the direction of the park
Statues erected by States and organizations 23
Equestrian statues by States 5
Statues on monuments 27
Granite statues by States on monuments 21
Bronze busts, reliefs, and tablets;
Bronze busts on monuments 2
Basreliefs by States on monuments 20
Tablets erected on monuments by States 150
Tablets erected under the direction of commission 755
Towers and bridges:
Steel towers on field 5
Steel bridges 2
Steel and granite bridges 5
Doublearch granite bridges 1
Singlearch granite bridges 17
Total bridges 25
Tablets, caissons, and limbers:
Iron tablets on field 427
Battery caissons 2
Battery limbers 2
Avenue fencing on the field (79,200 feet)miles 15.0
Post fencing on the field (177,600 feet)do 33.5
Gun carriages, Union and Confederate, June 30, 1915 408
Manuscript by: Eileen M. Murphy
Source: Annual Reports of the Secretary of War
National Archives and Records Administration