Gettysburg National Military Park Commission ,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1914.
Sir: We have the honor to submit our annual report for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1914.
The commission consists of Col. John P. Nicholson, chairman; Maj. Charles E. B. Cope, engineer.
Employees are 5 guards, 1 assistant superintendent, 1 store and time keeper, 1 rodmen, 1 messenger, 1 hostler, 1 inspector, 1 artisan, and 34 laborers, 5 of whom have teams.
The employees of the commission are capable of doing much of the work in the different branches of mechanics and labor heretofore done by contract, except in cases where material, tools, and mechanical appliances have to be purchased for the specific work, as for piking avenues and roads, for building large bridges, furnishing fencing and ironwork, gun carriages, and tablets for bronze tablets, and for granite work, monuments, markers, foundations, etc. These are bid for and furnished upon contract.
The contracts made by the commission from No. 118 to No. 132 have been made prior to this fiscal year, but have not been heretofore recorded in our annual report and are as follows:
Contract No. 118, for building avenue in rear of Pennsylvania Monument.
Contract No. 119, for painting five towers.
Contract No. 120, for erecting the Lincoln Gettysburg Speech Memorial.
Contract No. 121, for piking two avenues.
Contract No. 122, for 500 panels post fencing.
Contract No. 123, for granite pedestals.
Contract No. 124, for bronze tablets.
Contract No. 125, for building culvert on Hunt Avenue.
Contract No. 126, for piking roadway around Sedgwick Statue.
Contract No. 127, for 1,000 panels post fencing.
Contract No. 128, for 400 tons screenings.
Contract No. 129, for painting the Meade flagpole at Meade's headquarters.
Contract No. 130, for painting flagpole at Cavalry Field.
Contract No. 131, for 500 tons screenings.
Contract No. 132, for 500 tons screenings.
Contract No. 133, December 1, 1913, for 500 tons screenings.
Contract No. 134, February 2, 1914, for hospital tablets.
Contract No. 135, February 11, 1914, for hospital pedestals.
Contract No. 136, for grading and piking avenue foot of Culp's Hill.
Contract No. 137, February 26, 1,000 panels fence material.
Contract No. 138, April 8, for restoring seven damaged monuments.
Contract No. 139, April 29, for restoring two damaged monuments.
Contract No. 140, for repairing iron work of tower roofs.
Contract No. 141, for foundations for hospital markers.
FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
At the close of our last report the veteran soldiers of 1861-1865 were arriving in Gettysburg by thousands and preparing to go into camp on the grounds selected and prepared, there to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.
On June 26, 1913, Maj. Charles D. Rhodes, United States Army, reported to the chairman of the commission with two troops of Fifteenth United States Cavalry, and went on the field, stationing guards at points selected experimentally at first, and in accordance with the commission's map, directing travel and guarding the battlefield during the encampment.
The arrangement of the campground and the care of the veterans was in charge of the officers of the Quartermaster's Department of the Army, Maj. J. E. Normoyle. Maj. W. R. Grove, Capt. H. F. Dalton, and Mr. T. H. Humphreys, engineer.
The camp had been staked out and the tents pitched by the latter part of June, and the Assistant Secretary of War, Hon. Henry Breckinridge, visited the campground on a tour of observation, and consultation with the chairman of the National Park Commission.
A plot of ground on the west side of the Emmitsburg Road opposite the Codori House was rented by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, containing 8 acres, and on it was erected a great tent about 200 feet wide and 450 feet long, in which to hold the exercises and provide for the vast concourse of people July 1, 2, and 3, 1913.
On July 1 there were 42,000 veterans in camp. They found every detail of the preparations completed, and were well pleased with the arrangements. Before July 3 the tents of the veterans of both armies contained 50,000 soldiers and exceeded the expectations of the joint commission, but the predicted and expected turnout of visitors to the camp field did not materialize. The number expected during the encampment had been variously estimated at from 100,000 to 800,000, but the number on any one day did not exceed 25,000. On July 4 the President of the United States visited the camp and delivered a patriotic address in the large tent.
There was attached to the camp Capt. M. E. Locke's battery of the Third United States Field Artillery and several companies of Regular Infantry for guard and other duties. By July 8 the veterans had left the camp to return to their homes, and the work of restoring the field was begun by the park commission and carried rapidly forward. A few of the tents were left on the ground for the use of the regular troops in charge of the material, and some for the use of a school of instruction in military training for students detailed from various colleges.
The officers of the Quartermaster's Department, United States Army, in charge of the work in connection with the encampment, completed their duties and gave up their headquarters on Baltimore Street and left Gettysburg August 13.
MONUMENTS, TABLETS, AND HOSPITAL MARKERS
The marking of the locations of hospitals of the Army of the Potomac is referred to in report of 1911.
Authority has been given the commission by the Secretary of War to mark these locations with suitable markers of granite and bronze. Contracts were made with the Van Amringe Co., of Boston, Mass., the lowest bidders, for the granite pedestals, and with Albert Russell & Sons Co., of Newburyport, Mass., for the bronze tablets. This work is progressing, and these monuments will be completed before August 1, 1914. They will be erected at the following places:
The First Corps hospital marker, near White Church, on the Baltimore Pike.
The Second Corps hospital marker, on the Hospital Road, 700 feet southwest from the George Bushman house. Said road runs south from the Baltimore Pike, crossing Rock Creek below White Run, and continuing northeasterly to the Baltimore Pike at White Church and named the Hospital Road.
The Third Corps hospital marker, on the Hospital Road, 1,500 feet northeast from the John Trostle house.
The Fifth Corps hospital marker, on the Hospital Road, 1,200 feet north of the M. Fiscel house.
The Sixth Corps hospital marker, 600 feet north of the John Trostle house, near the Hospital Road.
The Eleventh Corps hospital marker, on the Hospital Road, 700 feet east of the George Spangler house.
The Twelfth Corps hospital marker, on the Hospital Road, 500 feet west of the George Bushman house.
The Cavalry Corps hospital marker, in front of the Presbyterian Church, Gettysburg.
The General Hospital marker (Camp Letterman), in front of the Hospital Woods, on the York Pike, 1-3/4 miles northeasterly from Center Square, Gettysburg.
The suggestion to mark, for the first time, with appropriate legends the hospital locations on any battlefield came from the commission to the War Department, and no individual had any part in the suggestion.
The Wells Statue was mounted on the south side of section 7, Confederate Avenue, on a base formed of bowlders, a bronze tablet, and plate bearing a fine bas-relief representing the charge of Brig. Gen. Farnsworth's Cavalry detachment July 2, 1863. The statue was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on July 3, 1913.
The statue was erected by the Van Amringe Monumental Granite Co., under contract with the State of Vermont.
THE PENNSYLVANIA MEMORIAL
Additional work is in progress on the Pennsylvania memorial. Distance and erection tablets have been placed on the upper coping during the year, names have been added on the tablets, and one new tablet was placed June 10, 1914.
ROBERTSON'S BRIGADE MARKER, CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA
This marker was furnished by persons in Texas represented by Mrs. Mabel M. Bates, of San Antonio. Early in July the commission marked the location on section 5, Confederate Avenue, and a foundation was built. The marker was erected September 27, 1913.
THE VIRGINIA MONUMENT
The pedestal for this monument was finished May 6, 1912. No bronze work has been placed thereon, and it is therefore incomplete.
M'GILVERY'S ARTILLERY BRIGADE MARKER
A pedestal with bronze tablet was erected on McGilvery Avenue, in Excelsior Field, on November 25, 1913. It marks the first position of that battalion in the Battle of Gettysburg.
MARKER TO ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTH PENNSYLVANIA INFANTRY
A small pedestal with bronze tablet was set up on Hancock Avenue, near the Bryan House, to mark the position of the One hundred and seventh Pennsylvania Infantry. This location had been marked by representatives of the regiment for a number of years by a board with the number of the regiment and State painted on. This new marker is a permanent one, and was erected October 2, 1913.
BREVET MAJ. GEN. WADSWORTH STATUE
The Gorham Co. of New York, have been given the contract by the New York Monuments Commission to cast the bronze statue of Brevet Maj. Gen. James S. Wadsworth, United States Volunteers. The location was selected on Reynolds Avenue October 27, 1911. It is 225 feet north of the bridge over the Western Maryland Railroad. A contract has been made with contractors here to prepare a foundation and erect the statue.
A bill authorizing the erection of bronze statues on Gettysburg Battlefield to three Pennsylvania generals, Brig. Gen. John W. Geary, Brig. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys, and Brig. Gen. Alexander Hays, Was passed by the legislature of Pennsylvania in 1914. These statues have been modeled and accepted by the Pennsylvania Gettysburg Memorial Commission. The locations were marked at each site, and approved by Col. Nicholson, chairman of the Gettysburg National Park Commission; also by the Assistant Secretary of War, June 10, 1914.
An appropriation of $7,032 was made by Congress October 22, 1913, to restore nine monuments on Gettysburg Battlefield that were damaged by a vandal March 4, 1913. A contract was made with the Van Amringe Co., of Boston, Mass., to dismount, renew, and erect the new parts on seven of the monuments. A contract was also made with L. H. Meals, of Gettysburg, to repair two of the monuments. By the terms of these contracts this work will be completed December, 1914.
Contracts were made with M. & T. E. Farrell, the lowest bidders, to grade and pike an avenue at the foot of Culp's Hill, terminating in Slocum Avenue at the east and west ends; also an avenue on land deeded to the United States, the piking to connect with the piking at the foot of East Cemetery Hill, a total distance of 2,143.04 feet. These avenues were completed June 30, 1914.
Contracts Nos. 131 and 132 were made with Samuel Robinson to furnish, deliver, and spread on the avenues and roads of the battlefield 1,000 tons of limestone screenings. These have been delivered and spread on 30 miles of avenues and piked public roads at a total cost of $1,850, or about $60 per mile, for one year; rolling after spreading the screenings not included. Thousands of automobiles have used these avenues and piked roads this year, and during the four days of the encampment thousands of machines passed over them daily, whilst from 5 a. m. to 11 p. m., July 3, 7,147 automobiles, representing from their licensed tags every State in the Union, passed over the prepared and published route for the movement of all vehicles. By care and supervision these avenues have been maintained without great damage.
The sides of the public roads ceded to the United States that have been piked are kept dressed and the weeds and grass destroyed. The gutters along the avenues are kept clear of weeds through the spring, summer, and autumn.
GUTTER PAVING AND REPAIRING
In the early spring, as the frost begins to come out of the ground and the earth settles, a force of workmen go along the gutter paving and the sod along the banks and drive them down with heavy rammers, and there is no trouble by displacement during the year. The workmen are engaged in paving the gutters along Hunt Avenue, where gutters have not been paved. They will complete the work in July of this year. The ground along this avenue is of such a nature that unless paved it washes badly.
Two gun carriages mounted with Napoleon guns were placed at the second position of the Ninth Massachusetts Battery opposite the Trostle house. The battery was withdrawn from its first position on the Wheatfield Road by prolonge in the midst of the battle on July 2, 1863, and brought to this second position. It is represented by the two guns and two pyramids of shells and a tablet describing the history of the battery in the battle.
In August, 1913, two guns were mounted on gun carriages and placed in the first position of Stewart's Battery B, Fourth United States Artillery, on the northeast side of Chambersburg Pike, between the pike and railroad cut west from Gettysburg. The battery was in action there on July 1, 1863.
The contract made with John C. Pepple February 1, 1913, to furnish and deliver 1,000 panels post fencing was completed December 31, and payment was made for the material and a receipt in full of demands to date was signed by Pepple.
On February 26, 1914, a contract was made with E. J. Naugle, of Orrtanna, Adams County, Pa., to furnish and deliver 1,000 panels post fencing. A part of the material has been delivered and erected on United States land. The contract expires October 1, 1914.
Outbuildings were erected on United States farms by the carpenters and artisans employed by the commission, as follows: One new building on the Trostle farm and one new building on the Culp farm.
Repairs have been made to the following buildings, all United States property:
At the Culp farm repairs were made to the sheds by the addition of new doors, also new spouting for rear of barn and some repairs to partitions of stables.
Two new windows were put in east end wall at the Weikert property and a new roof on part of the barn and new stripping on the hogpen.
At the Bushman farm repairs were made to the wall of the spring and to the floor of the crib.
At the Trostle farm one old building was moved. A new metal roof was put on the house and a wood roof on the summerhouse, also repairs to the barn, and new steps were put on south side of house.
At the Codori farm repairs were made to the house and barn; a new concrete curb was built along the front of the barn and the water piped from the house to the barn for use of stock.
The barn on the Biggs farm was covered with a new metal roof.
Water pipe conveying water from west side of the barn to the house, with a new pump at the latter place, was put in at the Althoff place to draw water from the well, a distance of 240 feet.
The Smith property was improved and a new floor for kitchen and wagon house; also a new metal roof on smokehouse.
New roofs were put on the house and barn at the Wentz place and a new floor in the kitchen.
A new wood roof was put on the house at the Hummelbaugh place and a concrete walk laid on south and east sides of the house. New spouting was put on the house.
The McPherson barn was repaired with a new metal roof and finished May 20, 1914.
The painters began work early in May on the avenue fencing, the posts, and some of the rails. Many of the gun carriages and tablets had been painted in the first part of the year; others will soon require it. The margins and faces of the letters on the bronze tablets over the field have been cleaned.
CARE OF THE GROVES
The woodmen continue their work in the woodlands and groves of the park, and have made great improvements in the appearance of these woodlands during the year. The west slope of Little Round Top has been cleared of undergrowth and bushes and now presents the appearance it did during the battle--almost bare of shrubbery.
Two parties of mowers go over the sides of the avenues and other open ground not leased, and around the monuments and markers, mowing and clearing the grounds and keeping it in good order from the time the grass begins to grow in the spring until late in the autumn.
There are three tracts of land bordering the avenues of the first day's battlefield, viz: One tract between Reynolds Avenue and Willoughby Run, one tract between Stone Avenue and Willoughby Run, and one tract bounded on the west by Willoughby Run and lying between the Chambersburg Pike and the embankment of the Western Maryland Railroad, all belonging to the Land Improvement Co. and containing a total of 95 acres. This land is desirable, and will probably be acquired this year.
PRINTED MAPS OF THE BATTLEFIELD
The camp sites selected on this field in 1912 for the fiftieth anniversary encampment in 1913 were shown on a map of the battlefield prepared by the National Park Commission.
The lithographic drawing in the possession of the Public Printer being available for making more copies of said map, the commission ordered 600 copies. These maps were printed and have been distributed and an order has been placed for an additional 500 copies.
BOOK OF THE LOCATION OF MONUMENTS AND MARKERS
The publication of 1912 giving these locations was a fourth edition and has been widely distributed. It is now exhausted, and a fifth revised edition, with all the information added to date, has been received and is being distributed.
TOWERS AND BRIDGES
The five steel towers and the two steel bridges, one of the bridges being over the Western Maryland Railroad and one on Hunt Avenue, and the four steel bridges with plank floors over Plum Run are constantly looked after and kept in repair. The steelwork is painted at least once in two years and the flooring of the four bridges renewed upon being found defective.
Plans for building five concrete bridges on the avenues of the east Cavalry field have been completed, the locations fixed, and the foundations built. The work will be completed by the employees of the commission in July, 1914. The largest bridge will be reinforced over the arch will require 40 tons of material. The four smaller bridges will require about the same amount. The stone for the concrete has been delivered from a quarry near York, Pa.
The commission has its machinery and tools, also lumber and a variety of material, in the storage building on Pleasonton Avenue.
There are two steam rollers and one horse roller, which are used to keep the surface of the avenues and the piked roads in good condition and to roll newly spread screenings.
WEST POINT CADETS
The graduating class of the Military Academy of 1914--6 officers and 107 cadets--visited the battlefield, arriving in Gettysburg at daylight May 4, 1914. They were commanded by Col. G. J. Fiebeger, United States Army, of the academy. This is the twelfth annual visit of succeeding graduating classes. These classes study the maneuvers of the armies in actual warfare here in 1863 for a time prior to their visit, and are prepared to point out important tactical positions and describe incidents of the battle. The class returned to West Point, leaving Gettysburg in the evening of May 5.
The commission received a letter from Maj. C. Crawford, secretary of War College Division, stating that an assigned number of the officers of the college would visit Gettysburg and encamp about the middle of June, but the arrangement was countermanded.
UNITED STATES PUBLIC BUILDING
This building was erected upon ground purchased by the United States in 1909. The lot lines were established and the foundation was laid out by Col. E. B. Cope, the engineer of the commission, and ground broken August 28, 1911. The contractor to erect the building was Ambrose Stannard. The work dragged along until the spring of 1913, and finally ceased. Work was resumed in the autumn of 1913 by new contractors, Pierce & Darby, who have given the work of completing the building their constant attention, and it is now in good shape to be turned over to the United States. The first floor of this building is for the post office exclusively, and all the rooms on the second floor, except one in the northeast corner, are for the use of the Gettysburg National Park Commission. Early in March the chairman was notified that on March 15 the rooms of the second floor would be ready to be occupied, but on that date the building was not ready nor the furniture on hand. Some time after, the Government sent all the furniture and carpets asked for, and these were limited to the actual needs, as the chairman proposed to use much of the old furniture and to have it cleaned and renovated to correspond with the new. This was done by our own workmen, as the furniture was taken out of the Winter Building, formerly occupied by the commission. These new rooms are very much more convenient and satisfactory in every way than the old quarters.
DAMAGED BY STORM
A violent windstorm, almost a cyclone in some sections, crossed the park on May 27, 1914. A large number of trees were blown down, most of them medium size, 8 to 12 inches diameter, and limbs were scattered in all directions. The force of the cyclone was very great; 12-inch sound hickory trees were twisted off.
WHITE AND BLUE PRINTS
The blue prints1 accompanying this report were made form our tracings 795 to 825. There have been 3,000 copies made from these during the year.
In the report of 1913 it is stated that the total number of white and blue prints made and distributed to June 30, 1913, was 30,000. The additional number from all tracings made during the year to June 30, 1914, is 5,000. The whole number to this date--July 1--is about 35,000, which have been distributed to those interested in the study of the battlefield.
As the work progresses it is not improper to record that from September, 1893, to June 30, 1914, there has been written by the chairman of the commission 72,966 letters pertaining to the work of the commission.
Receipts and expenditures for the fiscal year ended June 30, 1914, from appropriation
"Gettysburg National Park" (no year)
Balance July 1, 1913, as per last annual report -- $3,816.66
Rents from tenants on United States farms------ 2,439.02
Tablets, markers, etc. 182.32
Avenues and repairs to avenues 1,249.55
Fencing material and erecting the same 707.00
Repairs to motor truck 341.69
Rents of office rooms, fuel, light, etc. 145.81
Maintenance of stable and shoeing horses 103.56
Merchandise, hardware, and drugs 64.51
Transportation and traveling expenses 299.13
Stationery, printing and typewriting 98.86
Ironwork, machinery, and tools 143.86
Miscellaneous supplies, etc. 106.44
Total expenditures 3,742.73
Appropriated by sundry civil act approved June 23, 1913 $54,000.00
Appropriated by urgent deficiency act approved Oct. 22, 1913 7,032.00
Salaries of commissioners $7,050.00
Salary of engineer 1,925.00
Salary of rodman 605.00
Salary of timekeeper 770.00
Salary of assistant superintendent 550.00
Salaries of 5 guards, at $50 each per month 2,250.00
Salary of messenger 495.00
Salary of hostler 440.00
Pay of artisans, laborers, and teams 14,745.28
Sub-total - 28,830.28
United States farm buildings, tablets. and
Fencing, including lumber and material 639.13
Sub-total - 4,507.13
Motor truck supplies, repairs etc 396.53
Office expenses 163.79
Maintenance of stable 235.82
Merchandise and hardware 381.45
Transportation and traveling expenses 245.39
Tools and repairs to tools 79.12
Sand, lime, and cement 44.25
Printing and stationery 344.07
Typewriting and stenography 356.13
Ironwork and machinery 330.59
Paints, oils, and herbicide 478.50
Fertilizers, seeds, etc 192.11
Purchase of flags 24.67
Total expenditures 37,035.46
Pay rolls, June, 1914 2,421.00
Construction and maintenance of avenues 3,887.50
Pedestals to mark hospital sites 957.50
Land purchased (95 acres) 9,500.00
Replacing and restoring monuments 7,032.00
Miscellaneous account 198.54
Total outstanding obligations 23,996.54
Unobligated balance, June 30, 1914, none.
Assistant superintendent 960.00
Assistant superintendent 600.00
Pay of artisans, laborers, and teams 18,061.27
Sub total $33,601.27
United States farm buildings, tablets, and markers 1,100.00
Piking avenues 4,000.00
Repairs to avenues 1,400.00
Sub total 8,500.00
Repairs to buildings 300.00
Millwork, hardware and merchandise for office 375.00
Herbicide, paints, and oils 300.00
Ironwork and repairs to machinery 250.00
Motor-truck supplies, repairs, etc 406 20
Maintenance of stable 34.00
Post-office box rent 4.00
Books. print paper, and stationery 160.00
Tools and repairing tools 270.00
Sand, lime and cement 150.00
Miscellaneous supplies 200.00
Incidental expenses 39.53
Sub total 2,898.73
Within the limits of the Gettysburg National Military Park, embracing the operations of the Army of the Potomac and the
Army of Northern Virginia on the first, second, and third day's battle acres 15,860
On East Cavalry battle field do 6,400
On the South Cavalry battle field do 2,200
Total do 24,460
Number of acres of land acquired by purchase, etc., for the United States by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission to mark the positions of troops and batteries, for avenues, and to preserve the features of the battle field acres 2,355.01
Avenues and roads:
Telford avenues miles 22.00
Macadam roads do 9.31
Total piked by the commission do 31.31
Good earth roads in the park do 24.00
Total roads within the park do 55.31
Erected by States and military organizations 403
Markers by States and military organizations 95
Monuments erected by the United States under the direction of the park commission 50
Markers erected under the direction of the park commission 213
Statues erected by States and organizations 19
Equestrian statues by States 5
Statues on monuments 27
Granite statues by States, etc, on monuments 21
Bronze busts, reliefs. and tablets:
Bronze busts on monuments 2
Bas-reliefs by States on monuments 20
Tablets erected on monuments by States 150
Tablets erected under the direction of commission 743
Towers and bridges:
Steel towers on field 5
Steel bridges 2
Steel and granite bridges 5
Double-arch granite bridges 1
Single-arch granite bridges 12
Total bridges 20
Tablets, caissons and limbers:
Iron tablets on field 415
Battery caissons 2
Battery limbers 2
Avenue fencing on the field (79,200 feet) miles 15
Post fencing on the field (167,000 feet) do 31.5
Avenues and roads.
NAME / LENGTH /COST OF GRADING AND PIKING
Howard Avenue / 5,150 / $8,961.00
Reynolds and Wadsworth Avenues / 6,150 / $10,893.00
Buford Avenue / 3,435 / $6,295.00
Seminary Avenue / 2,500 / $4,540.00
Slocum Avenue / 6,373 / $8,250.00
East Confederate Avenue / 7,241 / $12,494.00
Hancock Avenue / 7,825 / $13,867.00
Meade Avenue / 950 / $ 1,472.50
Pleasonton Avenue / 1,549 / $2,387.00
United States Avenue / 4,150.00 / $ 5,445.00
Sedgwick Avenue / 2,841 / $3,790.00
Sykes Avenue / 2,997 / $3,998.00
Wright Avenue / 3,000 / $5,342.00
Crawford Avenue / 3,530 / $4,450.00
Sickles Avenue / 6,515 / $8,468.00
West Confederate Avenue / 10,470 / $22,793.00
Section 4, Confederate Avenue / 3,700 / $4,250.00
Section 5, Confederate Avenue / 2,470 / $3,550.00
Section 6, Confederate Avenue / 1,840 / $2,794.00
Section 7, Confederate Avenue / 2,850 / $4,993.00
Section 8, Confederate Avenue / 1,617 / $2.157.00
Chamberlain and Warren Avenues / 2,492 / $4,497.00
Meredith and Stone Avenues / 2,850 / $4,985.00
Doubleday Avenue / 1,450 / $2.236.00
Robinson / 950 / $1,446.00
Wheatfield Road / 1,100 / $1,865.00
Reynolds Branch / 492 / $400.00
Geary Avenue / 2,036 / $2,695.00
Taneytown Road / 5,700 / $9,735.00
Colgrove and Carman Avenues / 1,794 / $3,575.68
North Confederate Avenue / 2,365 / $4,719.26
Doubleday extension / 720 / $875.00
Brooke and Ayres Avenues / 5,850 / $10,997.98
Williams Avenue / 2,143.4 / $2,962.50
East Cemetery Hill Avenue / 1,480 / $1,953.00
Sedgwick Drive / 300 / $511.00
Mummasburg Road / 6,325 / $8,497.00
Carlisle Road / 3,276 / $3,868.00
Newville Road / 2,400 / $2,847.00
Emmitsburg Road / 8,713 / $14,164.00
Wheatfield Road / 6,400 / $9,590.00
Harrisburg Road / 5.287 / $8,586.82
Hagerstown Road / 2,700 / $3,241.00
Hanover Road / 5,700 / $9,997.00
Howe Avenue / 1,000 / $1,500.00
Birney Avenue / 900 / $1,481.00
Humphreys Avenue / 550 / $849.00
Lincoln Drive Avenue / 205 / $300.00
Hunt Avenue / 2,950 / $4,867.00
Totals / 165,281.4 / $264,429.74
Roads and avenues graded and piked miles 31.31
Roads within the park not piked do 24.00
Total avenues and roads do 55.32
Cost per mile $8,445.50
John P. Nicholson, Chairman.
Charles A. Richardson, Commissioner
The Secretary of War