GETTYSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK COMMISSION,
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1913.
SIR: We respectfully transmit report for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1913.
The employees of the commission, consisting of the engineer and assistants, the guards, artisans, and laborers, are substantially the same as employed and reported, 1912.
Two tracts of land were acquired upon which to construct an avenue from a point in the Taneytown Road near Gen. Meades headquarters. This avenue when completed will be a prolongation of Meade Avenue extending to the Baltimore Pike, passing between the guns of Ruggs and Kinzies United States batteries.
The first tract was purchased from William Bushman, and the second, belonging to Charles C. Rider, was not secured until December. It contains 1.08 acres; the Bushman tract contains 1.83 acres; a total of 2.91 acres. No other land has been purchased during the year.
Land has been leased by the Quartermasters Department, United States Army, upon which to establish the camp for 50,000 Union and Confederate veteran soldiers who are expected to attend the fiftieth anniversary of the battle July 1 to 4, 1913. The land consisted of two tracts.
The United States land on the battlefield is used by the Quartermasters Department for camp site No. 1. Part of the farm (formerly Codori) of William F. Redding, lessee, approximately 28 acres, also tract (formerly Barrett heirs) and part of the farm (formerly McMillan), both properties rented to the Quartermaster Corps, U.S.A., by O. D. McMillan, 56 acres; a total of 84 acres.
MAJ. GEN. SEDGWICK STATUE.
The foundation wall was erected with a platform 30 by 22 1/2 feet, supported by iron girders and surrounding a central wall, upon which rests a granite pedestal 5 1/2 by 13 feet at the base by 6 feet high. Upon this pedestal was mounted the equestrian bronze statue of Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick, commander of Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac, on May 8, 1913. The platform level is 4 feet above the level of the ground and is filled around to the middle of the coping with a mound of earth 70 feet in diameter. This mound is graded and sodded, and the Gettysburg Commission has build a roadway and approach to and surrounding the pedestal. The approach is 60 feet long and 15 feet wide and the roadway 12 feet wide. This has been piked and paved, gutters built, and drain pipes put in by the commission, and was in readiness for the dedication. The program was as follows:
Dedication of monument erected by the State of Connecticut upon the battlefield of Gettysburg to the memory of Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick, commander of the Sixth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
11 OCLOCK A.M., JUNE 19, 1913.
Prayer -- Rev. Wm. F. Hilton
Address --- Rev. Rockwell H. Potter, D.D.
Unveiling of monument -- Dr. James T. Sedgwick
Historical sketch -- Lieut. D. C. Kilbourne
The artists effort -- H. K. Bush-Brown
The Sixth Army Corps -- W. J. Wray
Private, Twenty-third Pennsylvania Infantry.
Delivery of monument to the State of Connecticut -- Charles H. Pine
Chairman of commission.
Acceptance and transfer of United States War Department -- Hon. Frank B. Weeks
Ex-Governor of Connecticut.
Acceptance -- Hon. Henry S. Breckinridge
Assistant Secretary of War.
Music -- "America"
Taps -- Trumpeters, Fifth United States Infantry
Benediction -- Chaplain Hilton
BVT. MAJ. GEN. WELLS STATUE.
Work for this statue is in the hands of the contractors, the Van Amringe Co., monumental architects, Boston, Mass. The foundation has been decided upon, and the casting of the figure, of which Mr. J. Otto Schweizer, of Philadelphia, is the sculptor, is in progress. The statue will be dedicated July 3, 1913.
THE PENNSYLVANIA MONUMENT.
This has not yet been completed and not in charge of the United States commission. Additions and slight repairs are now being made to it by the Pennsylvania Battlefield Memorial Commission. The regimental and battery tablets on the outer walls of the monument have been permanently fastened and the letters re-dressed. Eight bronze statues have been placed on the monument at the level of the base of the columns. These were mounted April 23, 1913, as follows: Lincoln Statue, northwest corner, facing west, J. Otto Schweizer, sculptor; Curtin Statue, southwest corner, facing west, W. Clarke Noble, sculptor; Meade Statue, northwest corner, facing north, Lee O. Lawrie, sculptor; Hancock Statue, southwest corner, facing south, Cyrus P. Dallin, sculptor; Pleasonton Statue, northeast corner, facing east, J. Otto Schweizer, sculptor; Reynolds Statue, northeast corner, facing north, Lee O. Lawrie sculptor; D. McM. Gregg Statue, southeast corner, facing east, J. Otto Schwizer, sculptor; Birney Statue, southeast corner, facing south, Lee O. Lawrie, sculptor.
THE VIRGINIA MEMORIAL MONUMENT.
The pedestal for this monument has been completed by the Van Amringe Co., monumental architects. It was erected by Subcontractor Charles Kappes under the supervision of this commission. The bronze work has not been completed.
MARKER TO FIRST MASSACHUSETTS INFANTRY.
A marker by the regimental association was erected on the line of the regiment, about 800 feet westerly from the monument, on the Emmitsburg Road.
MARKER TO MASSACHUSETTS SHARPSHOOTERS.
A marker has been erected to Andrews company, First Massachusetts Sharpshooters, on Hancock Avenue, in Zieglers Grove, by C.W. Ziegler & Co., for this commission.
A foundation for a marker on this position of the One hundred and seventh Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, July 2, 1863, has been built on Hancock Avenue about 100 feet northerly from the Bryant House.
A granite pedestal with bronze tablet has been erected on the Low Dutch Road about a mile north of its crossing at the Hanover Road. It marks the right flank of the Union Cavalry line in the battle, July 3, and occupied by the Third Pennsylvania Cavalry, which was the right flank of the Army of the Potomac. In this work the commission had the hearty cooperation of Bvt. Lieut. Col. Wm. Brooke Rawle, who was a participant in the fight.
BVT. MAJ. GEN. WADSWORTH STATUE.
The New York Monuments Commission have submitted to the War Department the inscription for the statue of Bvt. Maj. Gen. Wadsworth, but the United States commission are not advised as to the progress of the statue nor the date of the erection.
The number of monuments, statues, markers, and tablets is very great and continues to increase. They cover a large area, and to properly guard them with the small force of guards on duty is very difficult.
On March 4, 1913, probably between 4 p.m. and dark, nine monuments on the battlefield were damaged by a vandal, who seemed to have no other motive but pure maliciousness, as he took nothing away. His route appears to have been through the woods from the Taneytown Road to the site of the Fifth Corps headquarters marker on Sedgwick Avenue, 900 feet north of the Wheatfield Road, then to the Thirty-seventh Massachusetts Infantry Monument, 100 feet distant, mutilating both. From there he must have passed through the grove westerly to the Ninety-sixth Pennsylvania Infantry Monument, on Wheatfield Road near Crawford Avenue. Breaking this monument, he proceeded along Crawford Avenue to the Sixth New Jersey Infantry Monument, about 900 feet north of the Devils Den. He broke the Sixth New Jersey Infantry Monument and crossed Plum Run to the Fortieth New York Infantry Monument, smashing the figure of a soldier, and continuing his raid between the Round Tops to Wright Avenue, where he damaged the lion on the Vermont Brigade Monument; from there, crossing Taneytown Road to Howe Avenue he broke parts of the Sixth Maine Infantry, Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry, and Fifth Wisconsin Infantry Monuments.
They have been temporarily repaired by Col. E. B. Cope, engineer.
The original cost of these monuments has been compiled by the commission and the War Department has approved the estimate of the commission to replace and to repair, which has been submitted to Congress in supplemental estimates from the Secretary of the Treasury, June 13, 1913.
On June 25, 1913, a 24-pounder bronze cannon, with a bronze tablet, was erected on the Taneytown Road, on the site of the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Henry J. Hunt, Chief of Artillery, Army of the Potomac, to mark the location of the Artillery headquarters during the battle.
The commission issued in 1912 a small edition of a revised pamphlet giving the "Location of Monuments, Markers, and Tablets on the Battlefield." The demand far exceeded the printing, and the edition is exhausted, though requests are daily received for copies.
AVENUES AND ROADS. Under date of November 4, 1912, the War Department accepted the care and maintenance of the extension of the Mummasburg Road, a distance of 1,950 feet. After advertisement this was given by contract to M. & T. E. Farrell, who have graded and piked it for the sum of $3,200. This was inspected and accepted by the commission and finishes the piking of said road, so far as has been ceded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, a total distance of 6,300 feet. The act of the Legislature of Pennsylvania ceding to the United States jurisdiction over that portion of the Hanover Road from the east end of the Government Road to the crossing of the Low Dutch Road was repealed May 14, 1913. The Pennsylvania State highway department has now taken charge of the said road and is engaged in building.
A contract was made with M. & T. E. Farrell to grade and pike an avenue from a point in the Taneytown Road near Gen. Meades headquarters over the land purchased from Charles C. Rider and William Bushman for building this avenue, a total distance of 2,950 feet, 18 feet wide, total width from fence to fence, 50 feet. The contract price for grading and piking was $4,867. Subsequently another contract was made with said contractors for building culvert and walls on this avenue, the contract price for which was $276.60. The superstructure is composed of steel and was finished and put in place by the commission. The avenue was completed and accepted June 30, 1913. By authority of the Secretary of War this avenue has been named Hunt Avenue, as a memorial to Brig. Gen. Henry J. Hunt, Chief of Artillery, Army of the Potomac.
The estimated expenditures for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1913, provides for an expenditure of $1,000 for screenings for this purpose. These screenings have been furnished in part from time to time on bids at 87 1/2 cents per ton by M. & T. E. Farrell and have been hauled and spread by teams and laborers of this commission. M. & T. E. Farrell furnished 241 3/4 tons, amounting to $211.53. The commission has purchased 36 3/4 tones of soft limestone at $1.10 per ton. This also has been hauled and spread by the employees of the commission. On March 8, 1913, a contract was made with Samuel Robinson to furnish, haul, and spread on the avenues and roads on the battlefield 400 tons of York hard limestone screenings at $1.75 per ton. Total screenings purchased during the year, 667 1/2 tones, costing $951.95.
GUTTERING AND REPAIRS TO GUTTERS.
The winter of 1912-13, being mild and with little ice, a small amount of gutter repairing was necessary. Several hundred feet of new paving was done; the material was quarried on United States land and hauled and laid by employees of the commission. The cost of doing this work can only be approximated, as it is contained in the monthly pay of the workmen. The gutters along Hunt Avenue are to be paved; the ground on the sides is of such a nature that it washes.
A bid was accepted from Calvin Gilbert to furnish two gun carriages and pyramids of shells and to place at the second position of the Ninth Massachusetts Battery near the Trostle House and to mount them with guns for the sum of $180. This is the third position of this battery located with guns and the only one on the field so designated.
It is the intention of the commission to give a like recognition to Battery B, Fourth United States Artillery, Lieut. James Stewart; Battery A, Fourth United States Artillery, Lieut. A. H. Cushing and Sergt. F. Fuger; Battery A, First Rhode Island Artillery, Capt. W. A. Arnold; Battery E, First Rhode Island Artillery, Lieut. John K. Bucklyn and Lieut. B. Freeborn.
In building Hunt Avenue the guns of Ruggs and Kinzies United State Batteries had to be moved to give ground for the avenue. New foundations have been put in and the guns remounted. Two pyramids of shells have been placed at the guns of Grahams Confederate States Army Battery on Benners Hill, south of the Hanover Road. All the gun carriages on the field have been repainted during the year. The trail of one of the Whitworth guns on Oak Hill having been broken by a vandal was repaired in April, 1913.
A bid was accepted from John C. Pepple to furnish and deliver on or before December 31, 1912, 500 panels of post fencing. He was also directed to furnish 186 extra posts; total cost of fencing and posts, $473. These were delivered and erected, and an addition 1,000 panels was contracted for to be furnished by December 31, 1913. The 500 panels and 186 extra posts have been delivered and have been erected on United States property. The second contract for 1,000 panels is now being carried into effect by Mr. Pepple delivering some of the material on Hunt Avenue, and by James Felix, under agreement, erecting the same.
By authority of the commission, the officers of the Quartermasters Department, United States Army, in charge of the preparation for the fiftieth anniversary celebration, have had the long lines of fences on United States land taken down and stored, to be reerected after the reunion encampment. The avenue fences on the field have been inspected and repaired or renewed where necessary. New fencing has been built around Grahams Brigade Monument, and other similar fences have been repaired and painted. The avenue fence on West Confederate Avenue across the open ground north of Spanglers woods has been moved east about 50 feet to allow a roadway around the Virginia memorial.
The avenue fencing, gun carriages, iron tablets, pyramids, and shells have been painted during the year, and all the lettering on the bronze tablets that have been erected by the commission has been polished and oiled on the surface by employees.
The carpenters have been engaged in erecting and repairing outbuildings on the farms belonging to the United States. Two new outbuildings were erected at the Weikert farm and two old buildings repaired. New roofs were put on the house and barn at Gen. Meades headquarters and other repairs made at these buildings.
The tenement on the (Biggs) United States property was burned December 13, 1912. Repairs have been made to the Biggs farm buildings and at the Trostle buildings, also at the Hummelbaugh and at the Masonheimer buildings, all United States property.
CARE OF THE GROVES AND GROUNDS
. A force of the employees continue their work clearing out the dead timber and underbrush on Culps Hill, Little Round Top, and the woods west of Round Top. The large cedars suitable for posts are taken out and then the undergrowth is cut, leaving promising small trees to remain where not too thick and large trees other than cedar.
A number of pine trees on Big Round Top were found to be dying, but the quality of the wood was not damaged. The commission directed that they be cut and hauled to the storage building, and a portable sawmill be employed to cut the logs into suitable lumber to be used for the erection and repairing of buildings. Fifty-two logs made 7,000 feet of very good lumber, and the supply should last two years.
Two parties of mowers look after the mowing necessary to the proper maintenance of the park; they dress the sides of the avenues and the open grounds not under lease, clearing out fence lines, etc., over the park.
HOSPITALS OF THE ARMY OF THE POTOMAC.
The locations were ascertained and marked by wooden tablets in June, 1912, as mentioned in the report of July 1, 1912.
The question of marking such locations or other locations for these as shall be agreed upon by the proper authority was submitted to the Surgeon General, United States Army, by Col. Nicholson, chairman. Capt. Louis C. Duncan, Medical Corps, United States Army, visited Gettysburg and submitted a report and a design for tablets to mark the locations, also suggestions in regard to the inscription for the tablets, which are now being considered.
The general hospital, all the corps hospitals, and some of the division hospitals are included.
WEST POINT CADETS.
The graduating class of the United States Military Academy, West Point, arrived at Gettysburg in the early morning of May 5, 1913, on their annual visit and study of the battlefield. It has been the practice of the War Department for 11 years to order each graduating class on this tour of instruction. They usually spend two days here, but have previously studied the Gettysburg campaign for several weeks. The class visited the principal points to be studied on the Infantry and Cavalry fields and returned to West Point on the evening of May 6.
THE UNITED STATES CAVALRY
. On June 26, 1913, Maj. Charles D. Rhodes, United States Army, commanding four troops of Fifteenth United States Cavalry, Companies A, B, C, D, 14 officers and 285 men, reached Gettysburg and reported to the chairman of the Gettysburg National Park Commission. A detail from this command was placed on guard duty and upon posts designated on the battlefield to guard United States property and direct the heavy travel during the fiftieth anniversary reunion. A route map had been prepared by the commission and approved by the War Department, printed and widely distributed, to be used to guide all tourists over the routes indicated; also blue prints were prepared to be used by the guards, whereon all the posts over the field had been marked band numbered.
Maj. Gen. Lunsford L. Lomax, of Virginia, who was appointed a member of the commission May 17, 1905, died at Washington, D.C., June, 1913. His long and faithful service with the board for the publication of The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion of the Union and Confederate Armies made him a valuable member.
SONS OF VETERANS. The convention of the Sons of Veterans met at Gettysburg and went into camp June 22, upon land other than that of the United States, and continued to June 28, 1913.
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC ENCAMPMENT.
The Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Pennsylvania, met at Gettysburg June 27, 1913. The encampment was well attended. The delegates had timed their meeting so that after their adjournment they could enter into the camp of the fiftieth anniversary celebration June 30.
FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION OF THE BATTLE.
The fiftieth anniversary commission is constituted as follows: The Pennsylvania Commission, a congressional committee, and State representatives, composing a joint commission. They have had various meetings as the work developed. The first meeting was held in Gettysburg at the courthouse October 13, 1910, noted in the annual report for 1911. There were other meetings held elsewhere. A meeting was held at Gettysburg December 13, 1912, at Hotel Gettysburg. The next meeting was held at the Union League, Philadelphia, January 23, 24, and 25, 1913. Since that time there have been some changes in the commission, caused by the resignation of the chairman and other members, and the appointment of other veterans to fill the vacancies. Col. James M. Schoonmaker was appointed chairman and Lieut. Col. Lewis E. Beitler secretary.
The final meeting prior to the celebration was held at Gettysburg May 15 and 16, 1913, when the commission assembled and held their meeting in the Eagle Hotel. They visited the camp, which was well advanced under the very efficient management of Maj. James E. Normoyle and Capt. H.F. Dalton, officers of the Quartermasters Department, United States Army. Every detail was inspected and necessary measures taken to complete the work and have all in readiness in advance of the arrival of the veterans.
The veterans of the Union and Confederate Armies will go into camp July 1, 2, 3, and 4, 1913. The camp ground is prepared and fully equipped and ready for their reception, and at the close of this report the veterans are arriving by the thousands.
This great project, which was inaugurated September 8, 1908, by the chairman of the Gettysburg National Park Commission, in a call to the citizens of Gettysburg to assemble and take the proper measures to unite the State and national authorities, has awakened great interest and enthusiasm throughout the land, and indicates that this celebration will be one of the grandest events in the history of the country.
FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG.
(Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 2, 3, and 4, 1913.)
Veterans Day, Tuesday July 1, 1913, 2 to 4 p.m.
Col. J. M. Schoonmaker, chairman of commissions, presiding.
2. Meeting called to order -- By Presiding Officer
3. Opening prayer -- By Rev. George Edwards Lovejoy
Chaplain in Chief Grand Army of the Republic.
4. Address -- By Hon. Lindley M. Garrison
Secretary of War.
5. Address of welcome -- By Gov. John K. Tener, of Pennsylvania
7. Address -- By Alfred H. Beers
Commander in Chief Grand Army of the Republic.
8. Address -- By Bennett H. Young
Commander in Chief United Confederate Veterans.
9. Closing prayer -- By Rev. H. M. Hamill
Chaplain General United Confederate Veterans.
Military Day, Wednesday, July 2, 1913, 2 to 4 p.m.
Col. Andres Cowan, presiding
2. Meeting called to order -- By Presiding Officer
4. Address -- By Maj. Gen. John R. Brooke, of Pennsylvania
Representative of Northern forces in battle.
5. Address -- By Sergt. John C. Scarborough, of North Carolina
Representative of Southern forces in battle.
6. Reading of Lincolns Gettysburg Address -- By Mr. Barry Bulkley
Governors Day, Thursday, July 3, 1913, 2 to 4 p.m.
Hon. John K. Tener, Governor of Pennsylvania, presiding.
2. Meeting called to order -- By Presiding Officer
4. Address -- By Gov. Tener, of Pennsylvania
5. Address -- By Gov. James B. McCreary, of Kentucky
6. Reunion of Philadelphia Brigade and Picketts Division at the Angle.
Fireworks, 8.30 p.m.
The program for July 4 has not at this date been determined nor announced, except an address by the President of the United States.
GUIDES OVER THE BATTLEFIELD.
Many complaints come to the commission from tourists at the absence of a control over the guides over the battlefield and their charges in many cases. The commission think that the time has come when guides should be licensed through the War Department. Especially is this the case as the older and experienced guides are passing away, and their successors discuss the phases of the battle at variance with its history, and from their statements it would appear that they had the privilege of the views of the commanders in chief of the armies here engaged.
A system has grown up with many of them that deprives the visitors of a greater portion of the field, and rarely from the statistics gathered does the tourist, under the understanding that appears to exist, pass over more than 14 of the 28 miles which is requisite for a conception of the battle.
There are honorable exceptions to this course in the veteran soldiers who accompany visitors over the field.
This in the public interest should be remedied, and a guide, after an examination and by a proper board, should be licensed without exacting a fee, and in event of deception and imposition this license and badge be revoked.
Photographers are licensed by authority of the War Department without charge and assigned each week to stations on the field. Complaints as to imposition or excessive charges have passed, and they take pride in the maintenance of the assignment rule and their reputations for fair dealing with the public.
As the time of the reunion approaches and a portion of the public realized the possibilities of sale and barter, the commission received during the months of May and June over 1,100 applications for locations to erect refreshment stands, to sell souvenirs, relics, and to exhibit curiosities.
The decision of Assistant Secretary of War Breckinridge to issue no licenses to fakers, relic dealers, refreshment booths, and campers preserved the park and historic locations from unseemly desecration and received the approval of all the soldiers who were interested in the preservation of the battlefield.
To the guards of the commission, for the faithful performance of their duties, in many cases unpleasant, to prevent violation of speed and maintain the regulations of the War Department, the commission extend their thanks, and in so doing express regret that their powers have not been amplified to a greater control of irresponsible guides, chauffeurs, and speeding automobilists.
To Bvt. Lieut. Col Emmor B. Cope, engineer, the thanks of the commission are gratefully tendered. Resourceful, untiring, and loyal in every sense to his position, and with the same thoroughness in the performance of duty that caused Gen. Meade to select him for the service of the survey of the Pipe Creek line in
June and the first survey of the battlefield in 1863, the commendation for faithfulness of Maj. Gen. Warren is as applicable at this time as it was in 1863.
JOHN P. NICHOLSON, Chairman
CHAS. A. RICHARDSON,
[The Secretary of War.]
____________ Estimated expenditures of the Gettysburg National Park Commission for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1915.
Two commissioners -- $7,200.00
Engineers, guards, etc. -- 7,310.00
Artisans and laborers -- 18,000.00
Land occupied by lines of battle- -- 2,500.00
Care of avenues: Piking and repairs to avenues -- 5,500.00
Gun carriages, hardware, etc:
Gun carriages, machinery, hardware, etc -- 2,500.00
Monuments, foundations, etc -- ,000.00
For building tenant house -- 500.00
Repairs to buildings, etc -- 500.00
Fencing -- 1,200.00
Repairs to truck, carriages, etc -- 300.00
Gasoline for truck, fuel, and light -- 160.00
New tools and repairing tools -- 600.00
Stationery, etc -- 140.00
Freight and express charges -- 70.00
Drugs, paints, and oils -- 500.00
Equipment of stable, horseshoeing -- 180.00
Forage for horses -- 160.00
Other stable service -- 300.00
Light, heat, ice, etc., for office -- 115.00
Books, binding, typewriting for office -- 500.00
Incidental expenses -- 765.00
Report of receipts and expenditures of Gettysburg National Park Commission for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1913.
Balance due June 30, 1912 -- $4,099.17
Appropriation for fiscal year ending June 30, 1913 -- 55,000.00
Rent of United States farms and tenements -- 2,036.69
Salaries of commissioners -- $10,500.00
Pay of engineers, guards, and office force, etc -- 7,570.00
Pay of artisans and laborers -- 16,191.31
Construction, buildings -- $1,934.41
Land -- 197.50
Fencing -- 2,550.36
Maps, etc., estimated -- 148.20
and foundations -- 466.00
and repairs -- 11,528.73
Repairs to building -- 370.00
printing, etc. estimated -- 1,111.00
Telegram -- 1.26
Transportation, estimated -- 300.00
Transportation of supplies -- 69.91
Maintenance of stable, etc -- 372.32
Machinery, gun carriages,
etc -- 464.03
Motor truck, and supplies
and repairs -- 1,866.57
Tools -- 419.50
Rents for commission
offices and post office -- 209.00
Fuel and forage -- 322.06
Typewriting, estimated -- 400.00
Stonework and blasting -- 200.64
Miscellaneous merchandise -- 126.40
Balance -- 3,816.66
* * * * * * *
Manuscript by: Eileen M. Murphy
Source: Annual Reports of the Secretary of War
National Archives and Records Administration