Gettysburg, Pa., June 30, 1905.

SIR: The Commissioners of the Gettysburg National Military Park respectfully submit the following report of the progress of their work for the fiscal year ending

June 30, 1905, with suggestions for its further prosecution and completion:


A portion of the Taneytown road has been reconstructed on the Telford system, the same as the avenues in the park, under the provisions of the act of Congress authorizing “the improvement of certain public roads extending from the borough line outward.” This avenue, extending from the borough line of Gettysburg southerly a quarter of a mile beyond Meade’s headquarters, has been graded and piked. The length of the piking is 2,443 feet, with a width of 16 feet.

North Confederate avenue is being graded and pike under contract. This avenue connects Buford avenue with Doubleday avenue around the slopes of Oak Hill on land purchased by the Commission. It will open up the positions of four Confederate batteries and a section of Whitworth guns. This avenue gives a full view of the first day’s conflict; length of piking, 2,365 feet, and width 16 feet.

The contract for piking Colgrove and Carman avenues has been let and the work is more than half completed. This avenue connects with Slocum avenue and opens up the positions of the Twenty-seventh Indiana, Second Massachusetts, Thirteenth New Jersey, and Third Wisconsin regiments. This avenue is 1,794 feet long and 16 feet wide.

A strip of land 20 feet wide has been purchased for the purpose of extending Doubleday avenue to the east end of Wadsworth avenue. The line has been staked and bids invited for the work. This avenue will be 720 feet long and 16 feet wide.

The purchase of Bair’s woods, formerly a part of the Rose farm, which was accomplished during the fiscal year, makes it possible to build an avenue on some of the most important grounds of the battlefield. There is now in contemplation the construction of an avenue over this ground. The line commences at the wheat field, running in a southwesterly direction along the front line of the four Pennsylvania Reserve Veteran Corps regiments and the One hundred and forty-eighth Pennsylvania, thence southeasterly along the position of the two brigades of United States Regular Infantry (Day and Burbank), thence in a westerly direction near the Fifth New Hampshire and Twentieth Indiana Infantry regiments, continuing through lately acquired land and northerly along the front line of Brooke’s brigade, thence easterly to and over the low ground of the wheat field, passing the following monuments, viz: One hundred and tenth Pennsylvania, Twenty-seventh Connecticut, Eighth New Jersey, One hundred and fifteenth Pennsylvania, Seventeenth Maine, Sixty-second Pennsylvania, and Fourth Michigan, intersecting Sickles avenue at the wheatfield woods; total distance of about 1 mile. This avenue will pass through the positions of the following Confederate brigades, viz: Wofford, Kershaw, Semmes, and Anderson. A preliminary survey for this proposed avenue has been made and mapped. It opens up a most important part of the field, which is now almost inaccessible. It will pass near to 34 marked Union regimental positions, 4 unmarked Confederate brigades, and 1 unmarked Union brigade.


On November 12, 1904, a contract was made to construct and erect on Reynolds avenue, over Western Maryland Railroad, a new steel bridge, to take the place of an old wrought and cast iron bridge, which had become dangerous on account of the heavy travel and the height of the bridge over the railroad. The first bids were rejected and new bids were called for on modified plans and accepted. The bridge was erected at a cost of $3,800, the lowest bid received. An inspection and test of the bridge was made by the engineer of the Commission on June 17, 1905, by placing 20 tons on center of the bridge and measuring the depression, which was only on-fourth inch in the center and was recovered when the weight was removed.


Ten gun carriages have been furnished and erected on the cavalry field to mark the positions of the Confederate cavalry there and an additional carriage on that field to mark the position of Pennington’s battery on the avenue near the Hanover road.

Eight gun carriages have been placed to mark the position of Latimer’s battalion of Confederate artillery on Benner’s Hill, also one carriage to mark the position of Hall’s Maine battery on the Chambersburg pike.

The remaining gun carriages, provided by contract already made, will be mounted along the line of North Confederate avenue when said avenue, now under construction, shall be completed.

Two additional carriages of a heavier pattern will be placed to mark the position of two Whitworth guns on Oak Ridge, North Confederate avenue.


One avenue tablet on east end of Meredith avenue.
Two avenue tablets, Taneytown road.
Four battery tablets on east cavalry field (Confederate).
Four brigade tablets, east cavalry field (Confederate).
Four battery tablets on Benner’s Hill (Confederate).
One battalion tablet on West Confederate avenue (Confederate).
Additional tablets have been ordered for Carman and Colgrove avenues and for North Confederate avenue, probably 20 in all. A total of 502 tablets of all kinds on the field.


About 4,000 feet of avenue fencing has been erected, viz, 1,800 feet on Buford avenue, 1,670 feet on Stone avenue, 110 feet on Emmitsburg road, 400 feet on Sedgwick avenue; 4 avenue gates have been erected in the avenue fencing.


One thousand five hundred panels of post and rail fencing have been delivered under contract during the year.


The following tracts have been added to the United States land here during the fiscal year:

By condemnation: Acres.

Four tracts belonging to Springs and Hotel company---------------- 36.56
Cunningham tract, east of Round Top------------------------------------- 9.53
McAllister heirs’ tract----------------------------------------------------------- 6.59
Two tracts of Springs and Hotel company (Codori)------------------- 98.94
Two tracts of J. Emory Bair (Rose farm)---------------------------------- 31.22
One tract of H. L. Diehl--------------------------------------------------------- 11.498
Total----------------------------------------------------------------------- 194.338


Ten tracts necessary to construct Cavalry avenue-------------------- 35.710
Powers Hill and adjoining timber land containing---------------------- 70.006
This last tract can be purchased for $1,800.


The stone wall to replace the original and left incomplete in December, 1904, along Wright avenue has been completed this spring, and the wall along the Emanuel Weikert line has been completed also and gates put in. Feet.

The addition completed is--------------------------------------------------- 760
On the Taneytown road, from Pleasonton avenue north------------ 350
Along Althoff land and Wheatfield road--------------------------------- 1,600
North boundary line of Hummelbaugh----------------------------------- 700
Total--------------------------------------------------------------------- 3,410


On Howard avenue------------------------------------------------- 110
On Buford avenue--------------------------------------------------- 1,691
On United States avenue----------------------------------------- 2,340
On Sykes avenue--------------------------------------------------- 189
On East Confederate avenue----------------------------------- 980
On Sickles avenue------------------------------------------------- 1,160
Total----------------------------------------------------------- 6,470


Two shell stones at Meredith avenue.
One shell stone at Stone avenue.


Four thousand one hundred trees were planted in the autumn of 1904 in the open spaces in what were known as Pitzer’s woods, Biesecker’s woods, and Masonheimer’s field. The trees previously planted had made a fair growth, but during the last winter mice and rabbits killed a few small trees by gnawing the bark. The unusually severe winter and deep snow probably induced these rodents to attack the young trees.


Eighteen gates were made and erected in post fence line by our carpenters, viz, 5 on cavalry field, 3 on Wright avenue, 2 on Taneytown road, 2 on Benner’s hill, 2 at Rose Grove, 2 in Wills’s line, and 2 on Chambersburg pike.


The following monuments have been erected during the year:
To the Independent Company Oneida (New York) Cavalry, on the north side of Meade avenue, near Meade’s headquarters.
The marker of the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry, on the west bank of Rock Creek, in the S. Bushman wood, now belonging to the United States, marks the position of that regiment on July 2, 1863.
A monument, consisting of a large granite bowlder, with a bronze tablet bearing an appropriate inscription, has been placed on the east side of the Taneytown road, opposite Wright avenue, to mark the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Albion P. Howe, commanding the Second division, Sixth Corps.
These monuments have not as yet been dedicated.
With the approval of the honorable Secretary of War, an additional base has been placed under the monument of the Nineteenth Indiana Infantry to elevate it above the low ground where it stood and to bring it into view from Meredith avenue.


Congress having, by act passed February 18, 1903, and a supplementary act approved March 12, 1905, directed the Commission, subject to the supervision of the Secretary of War, to erect monuments and markers to the 42 organizations of the Regular Army engaged here during the battle, and having made an appropriation of $63,000 therefor, the Secretary of War has, so far as practicable, in accordance with said acts, procured the appointment of committees of the survivors of these organizations for the purpose of having the Commissioners consult with them and, with the approval of the Secretary of War, determine the designs and positions of said monuments and markers and the inscriptions to be placed thereon.

The meeting of such committee with the Commissioners will be held at Gettysburg October 17-18, 1905, for the examination and selection of designs.

It is also the intention of the Commission to erect tablets to mark the headquarters of the army corps, divisions, and brigades with a suitable inscription.

All this work is expected to be far advanced during the next fiscal year.


A large number of persons have visited the field. The fine avenues seem to be a special inducement to large and numerous automobile parties, who persistently disregard the rules and regulations governing the park, as approved by the Secretary of War, and under the present rules it appears to be impossible to secure their arrest and conviction.

Among the distinguished visitors to the field was Sir Thomas Fraser, of the British Army, who was a guest of the War Department.

The graduating class of West Point cadets visited the field on May 4, 1905, and remained two days. The class numbered 104. Every portion of the field was visited and studied by them.


On February 2, 1905, the relief map of the field was returned from the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, and has been repaired and set up in this office. The balance of our exhibit was forwarded direct from St. Louis to the Lewis and Clark Exposition at Portland, Oreg.


Col. E. A. Garlington, Inspector-General, U.S. Army, arrived at Gettysburg on December 2, 1904, and made a thorough inspection of the field, including all United States property in charge of the Commission, the office system, and all matters and things connected with the maintenance and development of the park.

A copy of this inspection report is attached to this report of the Commission.

A few small tracts of land, amounting to about 36 acres, are needed to connect avenues, especially the main field with the cavalry field, east of the town. A wooded tract of 70 acres, known as Powers Hill, is also needed to preserve the topographical features of the field and to mark the headquarters of General Slocum during the battle and the positions of two batteries and a regiment of infantry.

Beautiful and appropriate monuments have been erected on the cavalry field which are now inaccessible, except by a long detour over bad country roads, consequently this portion of the field is seldom visited.

The battlefield will continue to be the “mecca” of the old soldiers. It is expected that other monuments will be erected. It is suggested that markers of little cost be placed to mark the farthest and most important advances of the Confederate forces (brigades) in the attack on the Union positions during the three days’ engagement. The tablets now erected on the Confederate avenues give the condensed itinerary of brigades only and show where they started from. The markers suggested will show the point reached and give a history of the field of attack. A suitable and inexpensive block of stone, with appropriate inscription, will answer the purposes of the historian. The advance positions of the Union regiments are now marked by monuments and markers which have been erected by the various States.

The Commissioners can not close their report without referring to the efficient services of Col. E. B. Cope, engineer, and his assistant, S. Augustine Hammond. Their work has been most satisfactory. The guards and laborers have also worked faithfully in the interest of the Government.

We submit herewith a summary of the work and list of blueprints made from surveys and drawings by the engineers of the Commission; also a list of photographs of views on the infantry and artillery field; also on the cavalry field to the east. These show the new work done during the fiscal year.

We request Congress to give a liberal sum for the continuation of the work as outlined in this report.
Very respectfully,




Land on Gettysburg battlefield belonging to United States-----acres---- 1,599.94
Avenues (total length 20.37 miles)------------------------------------------------- 32
Steel towers (height, 75 feet)-------------------------------------------------------- 3
Steel towers (height, 60 feet)-------------------------------------------------------- 2
Steel bridge (span, 60 feet)---------------------------------------------------------- 1
Stone bridges (length, 40 feet)------------------------------------------------------ 2
Stone and steel bridges (length, 40 feet)----------------------------------------- 4
Stone bridges (length, 20 feet)------------------------------------------------------ 3

Gun carriages on Union line mounted with--

Napoleon guns---------------------------------------------------------------- 75
20-pound Parrotts------------------------------------------------------------ 6
10-pound Parrotts------------------------------------------------------------ 30
3-inch rifles--------------------------------------------------------------------- 78
12-pound howitzer----------------------------------------------------------- 1
James guns-------------------------------------------------------------------- 2

Total--------------------------------------------------------------------- 192


Gun carriages on Confederate lines mounted with--

Confederate Napoleons---------------------------------------------------- 54
20-pound Parrots------------------------------------------------------------- 6
10-pound Parrotts------------------------------------------------------------ 22
3-inch rifles--------------------------------------------------------------------- 32
24-pound howitzers----------------------------------------------------------- 2
12-pound howitzers---------------------------------------------------------- 19
Whitworth guns---------------------------------------------------------------- 2
6-pound bronze guns-------------------------------------------------------- 1
Total--------------------------------------------------------------------- 138


Total mounted gun carriages---------------------------------------------- 330


Avenue fencing------------------------------------------------------------------miles---- 13.90
Post fencing-------------------------------------------------------------------------do------ 14.11
Stone walls rebuilt-----------------------------------------------------------------do----- 5.50
Paved gutters-----------------------------------------------------------------------do----- 14.60
Iron tablets on field------------------------------------------------------------------------- 501
Bronze tablet on field---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1
Shells mounted on granite blocks----------------------------------------------------- 314
Trees planted to reforest field---------------------------------------------------------- 13,200
Avenue gates, iron and wood---------------------------------------------------------- 40
Wooden gates for post fencing-------------------------------------------------------- 18
Iron gates in avenue fencing------------------------------------------------------------ 12


One storage building, 50 by 30 by 20 feet high, fire proof, containing 1 steam roller; 1 stone roller; 1 water tank, containing 16 gallons; 1 coal bin, 25-ton capacity, containing 12 tons of coal; 1 cart, box of seeds, 3 mowing machines, 7 lawn mowers, 1 water cart, 1 land roller, 1 harrow, hardware, tools, oil, and other supplies for the workmen, an inventory of which is on file in this office.

There are also stored at Meade’s headquarters: Seven bridge planks, 12 by 3 inches by 22 feet long; 350 old locust posts, old lumber, old rope, corner stones, old iron, etc.

The artisans and laborers employed by the Commission have been employed at various duties, such as repairing the buildings and fences on United States land, renewing the painting upon fencing, gun carriages, tables, etc. rebuilding stone walls, paving gutters, mowing the sides of all avenues, clearing and repairing all places necessary about the National Park.


515.--Plot of ground of Second Massachusetts Regiment.
516.--Territory of operations, Maryland campaign, 1862.
517.--Land belonging to H. L. Diehl.
518.--Land belonging to J.S. Forney, to United States.
519.--Land belonging to electric railroad company, to United States.
520.--Land belonging to Springs and Hotel Company, to United States.
521.--Land belonging to J. Emory Bair, to United States.
522.--Land belonging to Wills heirs, to United States.
523.--Land belonging to A. J. Smith, to United States.
524.--Land belonging to Emanuel Weikert, to United States.
525.--Land belonging to Culp heirs, to United States.
526.--Land belonging to J. Emory Bair, to United States.
527.--Carman and Colgrove avenues.
528.--Drawing for bronze tablets, Hancock, Meade, and Reynolds pedestals.
529.--Gate for post fencing.
530.--Office tracings, Harpers Ferry and South Mountain.
531.--Land belonging to Springs and Hotel Company, 2d and 3d July.
532.--Land belonging to Springs and Hotel Company, 1st July.
533.--Land belonging to Henry Spangler.
534.--Land belonging to James Timbers.
535.--Office tracing of Southern battle grounds.
536.--Wheat field and vicinity.
537.--Position of Ayers’s division.
538.--Post fencing.
539.--North Confederate avenue.
539 1/2.--North Confederate avenue; gates marked.
541.--Stone work for Spangler’s spring.
542.--Granite markers for positions of troops.
543.--Benner’s Hill avenue; location of batteries.
544.--Plan for Walling Pond, Valley of Death.
545.--Tablets for marking positions of troops.
545.--Tract of land belonging to S.C. Patterson


Steel bridge, from Reynolds avenue, looking south.
Steel bridge, close view Reynolds avenue, looking north.
Steel bridge, from railroad cut, looking west.
Hall’s battery, from Chambersburg pike.
Fence lines, from Chambersburg pike.
Fence lines on Stone avenue.
Meredith avenue, from east end.
Stone walls rebuilt on United States (Althoff) land.
Stone walls rebuild; view from Wheatfield road.
Paved gutter on Wright avenue.
Stone walls on Wright avenue, looking toward Round Top.
Oneida monument, from Meade’s headquarters.
Taneytown avenue, from south end.
Taneytown avenue, from near Meade’s headquarters.
Taneytown avenue, from National Cemetery gate.
Carman and Colgrove avenues, from north end.
Carman and Colgrove avenue, from Thirteenth New Jersey monument.
Carman and Colgrove avenue, showing Third Wisconsin monument.
Latimer’s battalion tablet, Benner’s Hill.
Brown’s battery, Confederate States Army, Benner’s Hill.
Carpenter’s battery, Confederate States Army, Benner’s Hill.
Dement’s battery, Confederate States Army, Benner’s Hill.
Ralne’s battery, Confederate States Army, Benner’s Hill.
Benner’s Hill avenue from north end.
Jackson’s battery, Confederate States Army, east cavalry field.
McGregor’s battery, Confederate States Army, east cavalry field.
Breathed’s battery, Confederate States Army, east cavalry field.
Green’s battery, Confederate States Army, east cavalry field.
Fitzhugh Lee’s cavalry brigade, confederate States Army, tablet, east cavalry field.
Hampton’s cavalry brigade, Confederate States Army, tablet, east cavalry field.
Chambliss’s cavalry brigade, Confederate States Army, tablet, east cavalry field.
Jenkins’s cavalry brigade, Confederate States Army, tablet, east cavalry field.
Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry marker.


Governors Island, N.Y., December 9, 1904.

SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of an inspection of the details of the work as carried on by the Gettysburg National Park Commission, in compliance with letter of instructions from The Military Secretary’s Office, dated November 7, 1904.

Personnel of the Gettysburg National Park Commission.

Col. JOHN P. NICHOLSON, Chairman.

Col. E. B. COPE, chief engineer and superintendent, at $150 per month.

One assistant engineer, at $80 per month.
One rodman, at $50 per month.
One assistant superintendent, at $50 per month.
One storekeeper and timekeeper, at $50 per month.
One messenger, at $35 per month.
One hostler, at $30 per month.
Five guards, each at $40 per month.
Total monthly pay roll, $645.
On the date of inspection, in addition to the above, there were employed 27 laborers, at $1.50 per day; 3 carts, with horse and driver, at $2.25 per day, and 2 teams, with driver, at $3.25 per day. The pay roll for this class of labor during the month of November, 1904, was $1,367.92.


Three horses, two wagons, one cart, one steam roller, one horse roller, two bar mowers, one horse lawn mower, and one water cart.


One brick fireproof storehouse.


The office of the Commission is located in the town of Gettysburg, for which a rental of $210 per year, including the water rent, is paid. The average cost of fuel is $24 per year; the average cost of lights, $30 per year.

The animals belonging to the Commission occupy a stable in the town, for which a rental of $30 per year is paid.


Belonging to the Commission:

1. Journal: Extends from June 1, 1893, to date, and includes 12 volumes of over 5,000 pages, recording each day’s transactions and meetings of the Commission.
2. Contracts: Full details of the work, 1893 to 1904, bound separately in 52 volumes.
3. A volume embracing legislative history of the battlefield from the organization of the Gettysburg Battlefield Memorial Association, including all legislation by States and the National Government.
4. Applications by the Commission for authority for work and purchases, with the approval of the War Department, embracing 12 quarto volumes arranged by year.
5. Volume containing the number of letters written daily, relating to the work since 1893.
6. Volume containing copy of every Confederate and Union inscription prepared and placed on the field by the Commission since 1893.
7. Two volumes, folio, containing a record of every plat or piece of ground transferred to the United States, as recorded, with full-page drawing of the property.
8. Four volumes, quarto, showing the property purchased, accompanied by the agreement of the owner to sell, authority from the Secretary of War to purchase, with blueprint description of the land.
9. Three folio volumes, containing applications from State commissions and associations of survivors to locate monuments and tablets, since 1893, with the correspondence relating to the location, designs, and inscriptions, with final approval of the Secretary of War.

Engineer Department:

1. Journal: 7 volumes, July, 1893, to December, 1904.
2. Office memoranda: 2 volumes, July, 1893, to December, 1904.
3. Contract book: 1 volume, July, 1893, to December 1904.
4. Cannon account: 1 volume, July, 1893, to December 1904.
5. General information: 1 volume, July, 1893, to December 1904.
6. Agreement of employees: 1 volume, July, 1893, to December 1904.
7. Account book, employees: 1 volume, July 1895, to December 1904.
8. Account book, materials, etc.: 4 volumes, July 1896, to December, 1904.
9. Record of position of troops: 1 volume, July 1, 2, and 3, 1863.
10. Applicants for position on force: 1 volume.
11. Drawings and tracings: 1 volume, from 1893 to 1904.
12. Blueprints: 1 volume, 1893 to 1904.
13. Books, 30 by 36 inches: 2 volumes, containing 372 pages, with 542 blueprints.
14. Book, 30 by 36 inches: 1 volume, office copy Warren map, 24 sheets.
15. Book, 30 by 36 inches: 1 volume, engineers’ survey of Gettysburg battlefield.
16. Book, 21 by 30 inches: 1 volume, engineers’ survey, colored maps and prints.
17. Book, 1 volume, Warren map, position of troops each half hour, July 1.
18. Book, 1 volume, Warren map, position of troops each half hour, July 2.
19. Book, 1 volume, Warren map, position of troops each half hour, July 3.
20. Time book, kept by timekeeper.
21. List of tools, kept by timekeeper.

In addition to the above, the office contains books and photographs of every monument on the field; views of all the different work on the field; photographs of important buildings and historic places on the field about the time of the battle, and folio books containing copies of every blueprint.

The above records are very full and complete. I do not see that the intelligent system followed could be improved upon. Nearly all records are of great historic value and some means should be provided at an early date to guard them against destruction by fire.


The Commission does not disburse funds. The money appropriated for the work done by the Commission is disbursed by the disbursing officer of the War Department, under the orders of the Secretary of War. The amount to the credit of the appropriation on October 31, 1904, was $46,905.63. Except in case of very minor transactions, all purchases are made after competitive bids are requested and the contract awarded. All bills are verified and signed by the chief engineer and approved by the chairman of the Commission. All the work on property included in the park is done by contract after competition, except maintenance and general repairs to roads, fences, etc., and the construction of gutters.
The supervision of labor, record of work done, and time employed is excellent.


The guards, five in number, have the authority of deputy marshals and are employed in the general police of the park to prevent injuries to the public work or the mutilation of the monuments, and are required to submit each evening a report covering their observations and work done during the day, indicating what monuments or roads require repair or attention, also the number of articles, in any, which they have found on the field. The number of laborers is reduced to the lowest minimum from about the 26th of December every year until about the middle of the following March.


Since July, 1893, there have been constructed 20 miles of Telford avenues;

13 1/2 miles of avenue fencing, built of locust posts and gaspipe rails; 12 1/2 miles of fencing built of posts and rails; 13 miles of gutter paving. Five and one-quarter miles of stone walls have been rebuilt at locations where stone walls existed at the time of the battle. Three hundred and twenty-four guns have been mounted; 462 tablets have been erected, and 17,100 trees have been planted. These trees are planted on ground that was covered with trees at the time of the battle. All this work has been well done.

The roads have been constructed on the Telford system; the roadbed, carefully graded and drained, was covered with a course of stone, paved by hand, consisting of hard stone 8 to 10 inches long, 7 to 8 inches wide, and 4 to 6 inches thick, and bowlders about the same size, set up on edge, thickest edge down, length across the road, and laid so as to break joints as much as possible, forming a rough, irregular pavement, 8 inches thick, over the whole roadbed, the joints between the stones being chinked and knapped with smaller stones and stone chips driven in, projecting points above 8 inches being knocked off with a hammer.

A course of stones 12 inches high, 12 to 18 inches long, 6 to 8 inches thick is laid at the sides of the subgrade. This foundation is covered to a depth of 5 inches in the center and 4 inches at the sides with broken stone 1 1/2 inches dimension. This is rolled by a 13-ton roller at least five times after being sprinkled. One-half inch of clay is then spread over this layer which is then covered with 2 inches of granite screenings, three-fourths inch size, which is sprinkled and rolled five times; finally, over this a half inch of fine limestone screenings is evenly spread over the entire surface, sprinkled, and rolled at least ten times.

Some of these roads have been in use for ten years and show very little signs of wear; in fact, they are as good as when first completed. The average cost of these roads has been about 73 1/2 cents per square yard--something over $8,000 a mile. With proper care and maintenance they will last indefinitely. The guttering along these roads now being constructed under the supervision of the chief engineer by day labor, is an improvement over the first put down by the contract system. It is of excellent quality and should endure for a long time.


Within the limits of the park are 12 small farms. These farms are rented on a yearly lease to approved tenants under uniform leases, which carefully guard the interests of the park by including provisions which require the improvement of the land. There is also a small frame building leased to an old soldier within the limits of the park. The revenue derived from these leases amounts to $799 per annum. This money is, with the approval of the Secretary of War, disbursed for the betterment of the park.


The Government now owns 1,380 acres of land on the battlefield. Thirty-six acres are now under condemnation proceedings before the courts. In the opinion of the Commission, there still remain about 190 acres of land that should be acquired in order to preserve the integrity of the entire battlefield. This land is indicated on the accompanying map, as described in the legend. In order to connect the field where the cavalry action took place during this memorable battle, it is very desirable to acquire a strip of land 50 feet wide. The road has been surveyed. The proposed avenue is entirely practicable and can be acquired for about $2,700. Under the present arrangement, it is necessary for anyone desiring to visit the cavalry field to travel about 4 miles over bad roads, and for this reason it is rarely visited by the numerous throngs of people who go to the infantry field. By the proposed route a distance of about 2 1/2 miles would be saved. It is earnestly recommended that this project be approved. The land to be acquired is mainly on that portion of the field occupied by the Confederate army on which were stationed during the battle bodies of troops or batteries of artillery.


I thoroughly inspected the roads, avenues, and the park generally, both on the infantry field and on the cavalry field. The roads, fences, monuments, woodlands, and shrubbery are in good condition, and the entire park as observed, was well policed and free from rubbish and other disfiguring elements. The character of the work done and the general conditions showed a very intelligent and thorough system as to construction, care, and maintenance. I have nothing to suggest in the way of improvements upon the methods and systems of the Commission. It appears to me that they have accomplished a great work, one of the principal features being the extreme care taken to ascertain the positions held by the various commands participating in the great battle fought there. There can be no doubt that the positions thus far marked are accurate and trustworthy.

An accurate topographical map of the entire field has been completed under the direction of Colonel Cope, the chief engineer.

A list of blank forms used by the Commission, map of the field, map showing the land owned and such land as it is proposed to acquire, regulations for the government of Gettysburg Park, and specifications for roads, fences, and gun carriages accompany this report.

Very respectfully,

Colonel, Inspector-General.
Washington, D.C.
* * * * * * *
Manuscript by: Eileen M. Murphy

Source: Annual Reports of the Secretary of War
National Archives and Records Administration
Washington, DC