2. Report of Maj. Charles Peyton, in United States War Department, The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, 70 Volumes in 128 Parts (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1886-1901), series 1, vol. 27, pt. 2, p. 385. (Hereafter cited as OR, followed by appropriate volume and part, all series 1 unless noted).
3. Owen to Carrington, Picketts Charge, p. 161
4. Quoted in Maud Carter Clement, The History of Pittsylvania County Virginia (Baltimore: Regional/Genealogical Publishing Company, 1987), pp. 248-250.
5. Randolph Shotwell, Virginia and North Carolina in the Battle of Gettysburg, Our Living and Our Dead, IV (1876).
6. Charles T. Loehr, The Old First Virginia at Gettysburg, Southern Historical Society Publications, XXXII (1904), p. 33.
7. Report of Maj. Joseph Englehard, November 4, 1863, OR, vol. 27, pt. 2, pp. 659-60.
8. H. C. Moore to the Editor, Raleigh Observer, November 6, 1877.
9. Diary of Lieutenant William Peel, Mississippi State Archives.
10. I. R. Trimble, Civil War Diary of I. R. Trimble, Maryland Historical Magazine, XVII (1922), p. 11.
11. Report of Brig. Gen. Joseph Davis, August 22, 1863, OR, vol. 27, pt. 2, pp. 650-651.
12. Report of Lt. Col. S. G. Shepard, August 10, 1863, OR, vol. 27, pt. 2, p. 647; and J. McLeod Turner to the Editor, Raleigh Observer, October 10, 1877.
13. Capt. J. B. Turney, The First Tennessee at Gettysburg, Confederate Veteran, VIII (1900), p. 535; Moore to the Observer ; Diary of Capt. George Bowen, 12th Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, The Valley Forge Journal , vol. II, no. 1 (June 1884), p. 132.
14. Turney, First Tennessee and Bowen, Diary.
15. Quoted in Herbert Crumb, ed., The Papers of Thomas Osborn: The Eleventh Corps Artillery at Gettysburg (Hamilton, NY: Edmonston Publishers, 1992), pp. 29-45.
16. Tully McCrea to John Bachelder, March 30, 1864, Gettysburg National Military Park Archives.
17. David Shultz, Double Canister at Ten Yards: The Federal Artillery and the Repulse of Picketts Charge (Redondo Beach, CA.: Rank and File Publications, 1995).
18. Report of Capt. Patrick Hart, 15th New York Battery, August 2, 1863, OR, vol. 27, pt. 1, pp. 888.
19. We used one manufactured by the Rolatape Corporation of Spokane, Washington, called Measure Master, a model MM30.
20. Armistead Long, Memoirs of Robert E. Lee (London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, 1886), pp. 286-294.
21. See the appropriate sections in Rollins, ed., Picketts Charge.
22. Tully McCrea to John Bachelder, March 30, 1904, Gettysburg National
Military Park Archives.